Printer won't share from tiger laptop to leopard tower

Reaction score
Recently switched from Winblows to Mac tiger on a Macbook. I've liked it so much I just purchased a Pro tower with Leopard.

After downloading Canon's Mac driver, the IP5200 printer works fine when connected directly to the tiger laptop. It also works fine when connected directly to the leopard tower.

However, I can't get the Canon IP5200 printer that is directly connected to the new Leopard tower to share with the tiger laptop.

The network works fine sharing files. I've enabled printer sharing and the firewall setting is set at "Allow all incoming connections".

I can see the printer that is connected USB to the leopard tower from the tiger laptop over the network but when I send a job to it, it times out and says 'Jobs stopped'.

I've beat my head against the wall on this for an entire day. The answer lies beyond my Mac ability.

How do you get a tiger laptop to print to a leopard tower shared printer?

OP
J
Reaction score
I had been deleting the jobs in the queue as I continued to retry printing jobs. As for installing the printer, I've done that a few times already too with no change. But thanks anyway for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Are you logged in on the Tower or is it in sleep mode?

OP
J
Reaction score
Logged in. In fact, I have both computers and the printer all on the same large desk. I'm able to work with everything side by side making changes to try and make things work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are there 2 separate drivers for the printer? (one for tiger and one for leopard)?
Which one needed the downloaded driver?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
J
Reaction score
Yep, there is only one driver for Mac OS X that is good for both Tiger and Leopard. It is the one I downloaded already.

Soulwar, I checked out the links and they look very informative. The only problem is that it's pretty much all over my head. I was really hoping I was somehow overlooking some configuration check box or something. I have been all over the sharing and printer sections in Leopard and I just can't figure this thing out. I appreciate you guy's input and I'll have a closer look at that CUP stuff later. Until then, I'll keep meditating on this problem and perhaps more input will come in off this site. As a last resort I'll find a Mac expert in my area and pay to have him come out.

For $200 he'll probably tell me I need to wait for a Mac patch to come out. But I'll keep checking back over the next few days and see if any more suggestions pop up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it seems to be a growing problem lately. The links I sent seem to be a workaround for some. I agree though, it is a little too much.:Smirk:
Not sure if you tried using Bonjour or not. (doubt it will help, but read my signature...)
Anything I find out, I'll send your way!

OP
J
Reaction score
Yep, at this point I'll try anything. Thanks for the effort good buddy. If I find a solution I'll be sure to post it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.