Very slow Safari as well as Firefox

Reaction score
So, for the past few weeks now, I've realized that my web browsers have become VERY sluggish. Not in terms of images being loaded and what not (I'm on a T3 connection on campus) but more of computer lag of some sort i.e. whenever I open up a new tab in Safari and hit one of my bookmarks, it will take probably 6-7 seconds for Safari to recognize what has happened and then initialize loading the webpage. And whenever I open a new tab, my entire browser basically freezes up for the time being making it impossible to switch over to different tabs and resume what I was reading while I wait for the other page to load. The same thing happened when I tried out Firefox as well... mass confusion right now, especially since I'm on a V2 MBP 15.4 =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you use a maintenance utility such as Onyx to clean browser cache and cookies etc?

If not suggesting downloading as it is donationware.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ran all of the clearing parts of Onyx and still no cigar. This is really starting to upset me... for example I just made a google search for a canon camera and I clicked the first link to pop up and then it basically searches for like 30 seconds to try and load the page and then I get a safari notice saying it cannot open the website...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Are other internet applications similarly slowly? How long has it been since you power cycled your DSL Router or Cable Modem? I find that this produces a noticeable speed up when I feel like the web is slowing down.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thats the thing, I'm on a 10mb connection on campus like I noted in my original post. Firefox, Safari, same exact results. My Google homepage loads up in an instant, as in I could be on a loading screen trying to access a different website and I'll hit the home button and it will go right to it in less then a second. Google searches are also done instantaneously, but when I try and click on a link from the search, same problem arises, extremely slow load times. I've refreshed my preferences on my Safari, reset Safari, still no cigar. I'm at the point where I just want to beat the heck out of my laptop with a sledgehammer....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.