Syncing my MBP and Mac mini?

Reaction score
Is there a 3rd party app for regularly syncing my two computers' libraries and prefs? I use .mac, and while that's great for Safari, Mail, Contacts, etc, it can't update changes/additions made to things like iPhoto, iTunes as well as non Apple apps (Quicksilver, 1Password, Firefox, etc). My goal is to use my mini at home, and when I'm away have the exact mirror image on my macbook pro. Is there some app (other than time machine) that does this on an automated basis when both computers are networked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Is there a 3rd party app for regularly syncing my two computers' libraries and prefs? I use .mac, and while that's great for Safari, Mail, Contacts, etc, it can't update changes/additions made to things like iPhoto, iTunes as well as non Apple apps (Quicksilver, 1Password, Firefox, etc). My goal is to use my mini at home, and when I'm away have the exact mirror image on my macbook pro. Is there some app (other than time machine) that does this on an automated basis when both computers are networked?

One option is to partition the drive into two and move the home directory to the 2nd partition. Once there all your data is stashed away on the 2nd drive and it is just a matter of copying it over. You can do this by putting one of the macs into target mode and just copying it over as if it was an external drive. There will be numerous ways of doing what you want, this is just one.

OP
F
Reaction score
That sounds like it'd work fine, but is there a way to do it that's not a manual process? I'm looking to have it sync automatically at various points of the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
That sounds like it'd work fine, but is there a way to do it that's not a manual process? I'm looking to have it sync automatically at various points of the day.

The problem is that you are wanting to sync a number of non Apple items and directories. You could set up a cheap linux server and run samba on it OR an external hard drive OR a hard drive on an airport. If you put a hard drive on the airport you could just copy anything that has changed across to your computer BUT this could take a while and do you want to be waiting?

If you use an iDisk and set it to keep a copy on the local drive it will sync the data for you and then allow you to access the data whilst not connected to the internet. Then when you return it re-syncs it. Use this for the smaller files which you need to keep syncd and maybe manually copy your photos/music/video over.

I use a mac pro and an ibook. My hobby is photography so I have changed the ibooks hd to 250Gb and keep the photos on a partition. I can easily just transfer the changed/added photos to the mac pro and vice versa.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.