What kind of Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
What were the big bowling ball Macs with the different colors and the handle on top? Were they G3s? Some type of iMac or iMac predecessor? What was the original cost al well and what's the going rate now?

This isn't really a for sale thread, so I don't believe it belongs there. I had a friend asking me because she has one and was asking what she could get for it or if she could donate it to charity.

I know she also hasn't upgraded the OS, so it a some version of OS 9 on there? Could it run the latest version of tiger? How much memory can you put in it? Is it dog slow? She's a graphic design/art grad and doesn't have a computer. If she could still feasibly run some version of OS X, I could help her get setup with that and an older version of PS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Yep. Those are G3 iMacs. You can get $10-50 for the Bondi Blue one, and the prices go up as the computer gets newer.

Reaction score
If the apple at the top left in the menu bar is blue, the machine's running some version of OS X. If the apple is rainbow-coloured, it's running OS 9.

If the apple's blue, click on it and slide the pointer down to About This Mac. If it's rainbow-coloured, search the drive for Apple System Profiler.

Each details the machine's specifications, including whether it's a G3 or a G4 (the larger eMac), the speed of its processor, the amount of RAM installed and a lot more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.