Applescript vs Automator vs Unix Command

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Hey all, I'm looking to get into more power user type things with my Mac, and I'm not sure where to start looking for my first task.

Basically I have a 360 that I stream music to, but they need to be in MP3 format, so I use iTunes to rip CDs or convert music I've bought. The problem is iTunes drops the music in the iTunes folder, and I want to keep my AAC files separate from my MP3 files (mostly because I need to move them to a Media Center PC).

What I'm looking to do is create a script or even just a simple terminal command that will:

1. Search a directory and sub-directories for .mp3 files.
2. Move the file to a new directoy.
3. Keep the previous directory structure (basically putting the file back into an Artist -> Album -> .mp3 file structure).

I'm guessing that Applescript will handle this, but I didn't know if that was the overkill method or what.

As an FYI, I do various ASP.Net development projects, so scripting/programming isn't a problem, I'm just very new to it on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You don't need to do any scripting at all. Just create a Smart Folder that finds all MP3 files.

OP
Thyamine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
But a Smart Folder won't let me move them and maintain their directory structure will it? My understanding was that it was more of a filter. I want to actually move the files to a new location.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you want to duplicate the directory hierarchy, then yeah, you'll have to write a script. A Unix shell script is probably the most straightforward way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.