Disabling Startup Sound

Reaction score
I have a black Macbook running Leopard. How do I disable the startup sound? Even with headphones in, the sound comes out of the laptop speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The only way I know of to do this is to mute your Mac's volume right before you turn the machine off. With volume muted, the machine will not do the start up noise. You can then unmute for the remainder of the time you are using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This describes a work-around. You might consider it clunky, though.

Not clunky at all Brown Study - actually very elegant. Thanks for this excellent suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2GB 200GB HDD
Is there a tutorial or something on how apple scripts work?
Not very Tech savvy.

Reaction score
Is there a tutorial or something on how apple scripts work?
Check out this, and
AppleScript tutorial
will help with a search engine. Macscripter.net (listed in the link) is a site worth visiting, though it may be a bit daunting, here and there.

Macscripter.net has been around for ages, so if you're looking for a script's particular function, whatever you find may or may not work in your version of AppleScript. Some of those scripts are ancient, though they may have been updated to suit the newer syntaxes.

In the meantime, try pasting this one-liner — or any other — into a new Script Editor window, and click on Play. Or save it as an application and add it to the log-in list.

say "hello, my good and excellent lord and master of the universe."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Search is your friend. Check out this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I have had good luck with psst, I leave it on just loud enough so I can barely hear it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 600MHz CPU, 16MB VRAM, 384MB RAM, 100MHz Bus, OS 10.4.11.
I use this preference pane. It's free. It probably just makes volume changes when shutting down, and then when logging back in, but the result is your computers user-defined volume remains the same, and the startup volume remains at a user-determined level as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.