Uploadig to Mac

Reaction score
I have a person who needs to upload about 500mb worth of files to my computer. What's the best way to go about doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Over the internet or a direct connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
OP
N
Reaction score
I need them to be able to directly upload to my computer.

I guess an FTP program will work best. They will have to download it. I need to configure my computer to allow users to connect via FTP. I'm tinkering with the settings right now but not having any luck.

I have a static IP.

OP
N
Reaction score
I figured it out.

System Preferences > Sharing > (Checked) File Sharing > Click Options on which ever user you want people to be able to access (in my case, I created a new dummy user on the computer so whoever connects won't have access to my stuff on my account). Make sure that user is selected and click Options > Make sure "Share files and folders using FTP" is checked.

The person who is uploading needs an FTP client. I put in my IP as the host, put in the account name as the User and then the password assigned to that user and it connects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You are right to create a new user so that the FTP client cannot access your whole home folder.

If you find yourself needing this feature a lot (I use it for many of my clients) then try the free PureFTPd Manager

It lets you create virtual users on your mac who have access to one folder only of your choice (this can a be a folder within your User account so you don't keep having to log in to another User account) and allocate each client a unique user name and password

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/pureftpdmanager.html

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
louishen, thanks for that url. Looks good. It may come in handy down the road.

OP
N
Reaction score
louishen,

thanks for that link. I've installed it and I find it to be very helpful. Thanks! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.