• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Question on a Camcorder, iMovie, MiniDV, et al...

Reaction score
Thanks for answering my questions, really appreciate your help guys.

I've been torn on what camcorder to buy after reading many great thoughts/suggestions on this website. Here are some questions:

1. MiniDV - What happens when these other formats (Flash, Hard Drive) start to take over. For instance, say I'm taking video of my son in MiniDV now, and want to be able to watch it 20 years from now. If MiniDV is gone by then, will I not be able to play the video back on a TV (assuming the camera has gone bad by then)? Will my only method be to import the footage into iMovie, and then burn it onto a DVD and store it in a DVD? Or, is there another way to ensure that I will be able to play the MiniDV's in the years after my camera has died.

2. I'm thinking of going Canon, as it seems people have had great success with Mac compatibility. If anyone has used the ZR900, ZR930, or ZR950, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I had thought about the HV20, but I think that's going to be more than what I want to spend.

3. I have an Intel iMac back when they first released the Intel iMacs (January-February of 06 I believe), and haven't updated iLife to one of the newer versions. I assume my old versions of iLife will still be fine for simple movie importing, DVD burning, etc. Also, if I did go with the HV20 for HD footage, my older version of iLife I assume would be fine there too?

Thanks for your time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.