USB wireless adapter - working, but not working!

Reaction score
I have read quite a few posts about problems connecting to the internet via USB adapters - and have followed tips on IP addresses etc - but still can't get online wirelessly. Can anyone help?

My Airport card had stopped working so I bought a PlusCom 54Mbps Wireless USB adapter. It states that it is Mac OSX compatible (I run 10.3.9).

At first the Network Preferences said my computer had a self-assigned IP address, so I connected manually with the following settings:

IP address - 192.168.1.126

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Router - 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers - 192.168.1.1 and 208.67.222.222

This seemed to have sorted out the problem as the Network Status shows a green light for internet connection and states I am connected.

Also, the W-LAN utility that came with the USB adapter shows a strong signal.

My Internet Connect utility says I am connected via Ethernet (en2).

But Safari and Firefox cannot load pages, and when I tried to ping a website, I got 'unknown host' results.

How can I convince Safari and Firefox that the internet connection is there?

Reaction score
i also have one of these i was given and i have not found drivers that work.
they install, but ralink sware doenst show the card, and not in network properties.
in usb devices it is shown as a wlan 54 card so it knows what it is..

how did you get that far with yours?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Change your DNS severs to google public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Right now your computer thinks your router is the DNS that is mapping domains to ip addresses.

Reaction score
What driver did you use? I can't even get the dongle to show in network properties or in the ralink software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.