Problem with hard drive

Reaction score
Hi... I don't know if this is the right part of the forum to post...

I recently had problems with my Macbook - It froze then did the blinking folder with question mark thing... I read up on it and spoke to my friend who used to work for an Apple Centre for help...:

I checked the Disk Utilities (? I think that's what it's called - I'm no good at computers...) and initially it could find the Hard Drive... and then he told me to eject the disc and then it started to work again...

I attempted to back up the most important things onto a flash drive (all I could find in my house!) and didn't have the space to back up photos and music and videos... Then it broke again... (for lack of better words...)

So today I bought a Seagate Freeagent 500MB from Officeworks for $179 (I think that is a good price :) and my friend said I can clone my hard drive using disk utilities. Problem is, now my Macbook can't locate the hard drive...

Is there a way I can back it up or have the hard drive show up? I read about putting the corrupted hard drive into a ziplock bag and putting it into the freezer for 24 hours to give me 20 min of working time to back things up... (http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html)

The thing that annoys me the most is I decided about 3 days ago to get my friend to back everything up - all I needed to do is get back home (I was on holiday) and buy an external hard drive... I hope it's not too late!!

HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Have you opened Disk Utility after plugging in the external drive to see if it shows up in there? If so, it's probably not showing up on your desktop because you need to format it.

OP
S
Reaction score
i tried that - it could recognise the external hard drive...
it recognised the internal hard drive yesterday after the first problem... then an hour later it couldn't find it at all.

i just want to retrieve some stuff before sending it off to get a service.

is there any way of getting it to show up at all??/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.