• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What is a good MiniDV camera with passthrough ability to capture analog video?

Reaction score
I've been searching high and low for simple way to get my analog video off of my Sony TRV66 camera. I've decided that it's time to update my camera and so I want to go the route of buying a MiniDV camcorder for around $300 or less that supports the passthrough method and it works with the latest version of IMovie on my brand new Intel Mac.

Does anyone know of a MiniDV camcorder that works with IMovie that will support passing analog video from my old camera through to IMovie on my new IMac running Leopard and the latest version of IMovie? My old camera has S-Video and composite out, and it also has Lanc port (whatever that means).

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I know my old canon does, so you might want to look at the canon line.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I have sony digital hard drive cam corder- DCR- SR 200. When I plug it in to my computer, i movie automatically quits, and I cant get quicktime to recognize the files. I am using the USB port to plug it in. I dont have firewire right now. It is possible to get it to work without a firewire cable or am I forced to buy one?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have sony digital hard drive cam corder- DCR- SR 200. When I plug it in to my computer, i movie automatically quits, and I cant get quicktime to recognize the files. I am using the USB port to plug it in. I dont have firewire right now. It is possible to get it to work without a firewire cable or am I forced to buy one?
You will not be able to import any data into iMovie using USB. iMovie only supports firewire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You will not be able to import any data into iMovie using USB. iMovie only supports firewire.
That isn't a correct statement because the answer depends on the version of iMovie. Since aliengirl11 left that information out, we can't help her beyound what I say below and this link. Anyway...

iMovie 08 is designed to also work with cameras that use tapeless media and therefor can use a USB connection. Previous versions could only use a Firewire connection. Watch the Importing from a Camcorder tutorial at Apple.

As for the original post, I'd be interested in seeing if any current camera models have pass through too. It is a handy feature I haven't noticed mentioned in the last few years.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I stopped using iMovie after iLife '08 came out. I was not aware of the change in iMovie '08.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

You might need mpeg streamclip to convert the files.Connect your camera to the mac.Then open mpeg streamclip(Free program but you will need to purchase the codec from apple)then convert the film into dv , open idvd and there you go!Brian on this forum has a good website that teaches a bunch of tips and tricks and that is where i learned the information that im passing along.Thank Brian!And i hope that helps you out somewhat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.