Superdrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2gb ram, 120gb
I was wondering how to burn using the superdrive feature. Do you have to buy special dvds with a double layer?

And do you have to tell the drive (when burning) to do the double layer? I would like to put a lot of shows onto a dvd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't *have* to use dual-layer discs in your superdrive but they are the highest capacity you can use if maximizing space is what you want.
Your drive will be just as happy using single layer DVD or any of the various capacity CDs (with the exception of the small 9cm discs)

You don't have to tell the drive it's dual-layer, it will know. Any burning software worth it's money will detect the disc capacity. Worst case, you may have to select dual-layer in the software.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2gb ram, 120gb
So should i just add the programs to the burn queue? Do they sell dual layer discs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can write to a dual-layer in exactly the same way as you write to any disc. So yes if you use the burn queue it will work fine with dual layer discs.

Or just create a folder/folder structure. Copy in the files you require then go into Disk Utility and burn the folder structure to disc.

And yes, you can buy blank dual layer discs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.