Using Headphones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Is there a way to plug in my headphones to the front port(1/8 in headphone) and have it *only* play through the headphones? Normally it will play through both the headphones and the speakers....help?

M

m1k

System Prefs -> Sound -> Output Tab -> Change something here, it may help?

I don't know if this will work, since I have a 12" PowerBook that only has one audio-in port.

Good luck!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, thats whats rather strange....I have my speakers plugged into Line out in the back of my G5...when i want to use headphones, i plug them into the headphone port on the front of my g5...

In system prefs, when my headphones are not connected to the front, and my speakers are connected to the back, it shows up as line-out..

in system prefs when i connect my headphones to the front and keep my speakers plugged into the back, it changes to Headphone...

so, when i plug in my headphones, it plays through both..

I want it to not play through the speakers, just the headphones...

M

m1k

That's weird...

Are you sure your speakers aren't plugged into the Line In port? Here's a diagram showing you where the Line Out port is, just in case:

expansionports06262003.gif

If your speakers are actually plugged into the Line Out audio port, I don't know what to do. Only one port shows up in your Audio System Prefs? There should be two, because there are two ports on your G5.

Very weird. I really don't know what to do, sorry.

W

Wapa18

the same thing happens with my mdd g4 tower. so i just turn my speakers off when i use my headphones, and it's no big deal.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, I just got off the phone with the apple guy and he said that its the architecture of the g5....you either need to disconnect or shut off the speakers to have it just play through the headphones.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Quick! Someone, hack the firmware!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The MDD G4 does that too. Only if you use the internal speaker, or the Apple Pro speaker, they get muted when you plug in your headphones. The Audio Line Out doesn't, which is pretty normal...

@m1k:
If he had connected his speakers to the Audio In jack, he wouldn't have any sound on the external speakers...hence the name of the port: Audio IN (from outside to inside) :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.