Macbpro Wont Erase Or Format Ext Hd ????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
Hi, new here and a pre apology if this is in the wrong section.

Simpletech 320 ext HD, I want to be able to download anything from a PC or my new MAC Book Pro. Included directions said I would need to format the EXT HD in FAT 32 to be able to use with both OS'. THing is the mac cannot do this, or more correctly something I assume in the HD is preventing the action. I keep getting a message " cannot undock device" and another similar cannot unhook device ???? I went to format in MS-DOS/ FAT 32 and tried partiioning also. It again gave the same errors. It wont even partition. I am sure there is something I am doing wrong as usual, because the more I use this Mac the more I realize how much I was missing with the old PC. 1 month old....... takes some getting used to. ......I have read several threads on topics very similar to this but nothing that I was able to directly use in my situation.

Thanks in advance for any info or link to lead the blind........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Try unplugging the USB cord (from both ends if possible) and giving it a nice shake (honestly, I had this same problem and that fixed the problem for me) see if you can eject the HDD before you unplug it, if not than just yank the cord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Here if you do it this way it's the best for what you want, just format it using NTFS and then install MacFuse:

NTFS is the modern default standard on PCs. Macs can read files off NTFS but not write to them. A Mac can - however write to NTFS drives if you install free Software called MacFuse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Here if you do it this way it's the best for what you want, just format it using NTFS and then install MacFuse:

I don't think he can reformat it into any format, i had the same problem as him, it is not specific to the format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Oh, I have no idea then, sorry

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
Thanks for the replies and quick. I am still getting a message " cannot unmount " so I am looking into other avenues to formating or just returning this cheap simpletech and getting the Seagate that did work when we tested it. Maybe no one else ran into this yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whitebook 2.2, 4gb RAM, 200gb 7200RPM HD
It sounds like there is some pre-installed partition on the hard drive that has security settings enabled.
If you have access to a Windoze box, clearing all partitions on it and leaving it as free space, then plug it into your Mac and see if it will partition and format that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
In Disc Utility click the "unmount" button at the top and see if you can manually unmount the drive. If so, format away. If not, MacKat is probably right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.