Have to press Power button twice to turn on G4 Sawtooth!!??

M

macgadget

Do any of you have this problem, and know how to fix it?

I'm wondering if it's the same type of problem with a bad board right behind the power button.

I want to get a new power supply to see if that is the problem. But I'm thinking it might be the power button board, or maybe the Logic Board itself. That would suck, because I'd have to throw out about $350 for a new Logic Board.. :(

If I had to replace the Logic Board, I guess it might be cool, considering I've completly overhauled this G4, everything else inside is brand new. I've also ordered new handles, font bezel, top bezel, and side panels for it as well....total overhaul.

Thanks!!

Brett :cool:

OP
M

m1k

What do you mean? Do you have to push it twice in quick succession, or does it sometimes work and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes if you push it twice it turns on?

It does sound like a power button board, but I'm really not sure. I'll leave it to the more technical members of Mac-Forums.

Good luck!

OP
M

macgadget

Hello! Thank you for your reply....

Well, when I turn it on the first time, everything comes on....hard drive spins up, and fans turn on, and such...BUT I get no video (monitor remains in stand-by mode); and I get NO start up sound, you know the "dahhh" sound. So I have to press it again, and hold it in until the system powers down, and then I hit the power button again, within 2 seconds of power down, it is THEN when I get the start up sound, and the video is initialized.

It's strange. it's just a minor anoyance, about an anoyance that's getting old...... :eek:

Any help would be great..thank you!!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
...the computer works, right?

OP
M

macgadget

Absolute Zero said:
...the computer works, right?

Hello!

Oh, yeah, it works....works great...but the double button pushing is anoying.

Thank you!!

OP
M

m1k

Weird...

I'd almost say it was something wrong with the monitor. What kind of speakers do you have?

If the speakers are inside the monitor, it might be something wrong with the monitor. I don't know though.

Also, try searching the Apple support site, they often have answers:)

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I'd say its the motherboard... if there is an Apple store nearby, take it there and see what they say. Might want to run the hardware test CD.

OP
M

macgadget

Absolute Zero said:
I'd say its the motherboard... if there is an Apple store nearby, take it there and see what they say. Might want to run the hardware test CD.

Hello! Thank you....

Where is the hardware test CD? Did it come with Panther?

Or can I download a diagnostic test??

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The Apple Hardware Test CD is delivered with every Mac, and it's specific to that model.
Actually, I saw that problem with a G4 Sawtooth too...but as the owner wasn't bothered about it (he just puts it in sleep mode mostly), I didn't continue research about it.

OP
M

m1k

Good point Avalon, actually.

Why the heck would you shut down your Mac anyways? You should always just put it in sleep mode if you're not using it, or if you're restarting to install software, you should restart. You should never completely shut down your Power Mac. No offense or anything...

Just don't shut down your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
****, don't even put it to sleep. Just leave it on 24/7, nothing bad will happen to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Absolute Zero said:
****, don't even put it to sleep. Just leave it on 24/7, nothing bad will happen to it.

Yeah, sure...just like the lights in your house. Never turn them off, you going to turn them on again anyway...it won't harm the bulbs or switches...

...but it will heavily harm your wallet. :p ;)

Being in sarcastic mood again, Abs? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe thats why the downstairs lights always flicker and sometimes just turn off for a minute...

Damnit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolute Zero said:
Maybe thats why the downstairs lights always flicker and sometimes just turn off for a minute...

Damnit.

Hmm...maybe you should try to put them to sleep...they surely restart faster when you turn them on the next morning :D :D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nevar!1!11q11!one11!!shift+11!!1!2@#!21#

Must... get a high... AIM uptime...

OP
M

macgadget

Thank you!

Well, I'd rather power it down when I'm not on it, creature of habit.

So this is a Sawtooth type of problem? Mine IS a Sawtooth.... I'm ordering a new front panel board to see if that does it. If not, I guess it's Logic Board time. :eek:

I've even replaced the Lithium battery. Just can't figure it out....

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Avalon said:
Yeah, sure...just like the lights in your house. Never turn them off, you going to turn them on again anyway...it won't harm the bulbs or switches...

...but it will heavily harm your wallet. :p ;)

Being in sarcastic mood again, Abs? :D

Actually, you will save more energy by putting you computer to sleep than you will powering it on and off daily. You'll also save wear and tear. All of the newer Macs are "Energy Star" compliant.

Reaction score
macgadget said:
Hello! Thank you for your reply....

Well, when I turn it on the first time, everything comes on....hard drive spins up, and fans turn on, and such...BUT I get no video (monitor remains in stand-by mode); and I get NO start up sound, you know the "dahhh" sound. So I have to press it again, and hold it in until the system powers down, and then I hit the power button again, within 2 seconds of power down, it is THEN when I get the start up sound, and the video is initialized.

It's strange. it's just a minor anoyance, about an anoyance that's getting old...... :eek:

Any help would be great..thank you!!

Sounds like a dead clock/logicboard battary to me. Does the clock keep current time?

opps... NM i just noticed that you sead you changed the battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.