Entire iMac wiped.

Reaction score
I just restarted my iMac and everything has returned to what it was like when I first started it over a year ago.

All my files are gone, work I've done in the last year gone, over 300 albums on iTunes, apps that I had added, my email account is gone, firefox gone, no bookmarks...... absolutley wiped clean.

This so too scary to even think about because I have only just ordered an external hard drive to back up my files so I have no back up!

Is there some way to restore everything?

Please help!!

OP
C
Reaction score
OK.... wait.... I have realized what I did.

I changed my user name on the home icon on the hard drive which seems to have created a new user. When I startup the iMac it opens automatically in the wrong one which is completely blank.

I'll repost if I can't rectify this.

OP
C
Reaction score
User changed.

From previous post.

I stupidly changed my home icon on my Hard Drive from 'davidhewitt' to 'David Hewitt' and when I then restarted my iMac it has opened everything as if it is a brand new user with all my stuff missing. If I open finder the home icon says 'davidhewitt' and in the 'Users' folder there is a regular folder named 'David Hewitt' which has all my stuff in it.

Is there any way I can restore everything back to the way it was?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
give the new account a new name like temp

rename your old account folder exactly as it was before you lost the account - restart

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you so much. It's all back to normal.

I nearly had heart failure with that one.

chew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.0GHz Leopard,White Macbook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo Tiger, iPod nano 3rd gen 8GB
I kinda had same thing not long ago, but i didnt change my username. I just turned on my Macbook (10.4.9) and had the default background, Dock size was to orginal and icons missing, files ect. So i changed it all back to normal i downloaded my desktop image again, resized the dock and hidden the dock, just all the little things you like your mac to be like. I then reboot type in my password and BOOM everything is default again... the only way i could resolve this was to resintall OS X again :-(

My first thoughts was that is had a virus becuase our windows computer did exact same thing and it had **** load of viruses on it. but hasnt there only been like one case of some sort of virus for mac and it wasnt much of a virus too right? please correct me if im wrong :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.