My files are locked

Reaction score
I'm a switcher and I Transfer my files from my old PC by an external Hard Drive. Some of my files are shown Locked and there is no way to unlock them. what can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Command+I and then uncheck "Locked". I think Locked is the equivalent of "Read-Only" for windows. So if you change that in Windows itself, it will have no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is the external hard drive formatted for PC (ie NTFS)

OP
A
Reaction score
I formated this external Hard drive with my mac and change it to Fat32 format last week.

Reaction score
I had the same trouble today.

Go to get info on your locked folder and toward the middle uncheck the 'locked' radio button and then click the lock at the bottom right of the info pane so it clicks into the unlocked position.

Then you will put in your password and you can do whatever you want.
Actually I think I got that from this forum somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Are they locked or do they have a little red circle "-" in it on them? You may not have access privileges for the specific files.

OP
A
Reaction score
dear hardtoremember: Your method doesn't work for me. I don't know why but nothing happened when I clicked on the lock on the bottom right of the info pane! sometimes it just shows the folder in finder!
Dear Baggss: It has a Big Lock on the bottom right of the folder Icon.

Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to add my two cents.

This is a serious problem, not one that can be solved through GUI methods. Not as simple as checking/unchecking a box, unfortunately. So don't make any more suggestions like that.

There are a number of different methods that ARE supposed to work, but DON'T. These include the solutions using the chflags command line utility, and EVEN the SetFile utility doesn't work if you've installed OS X Developer Tools!! (SetFile gives me a -5000 error code which is a generic "accessDenied" error for Mac OS)

However, if you want to try them on your own machine, here are the commands that SHOULD have worked:
"sudo chflags nouchg <name of file>"
"sudo /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a l <name of file>"

There ARE 3rd-party apps designed specifically to handle this heinous "feature," but if the above two commands don't work, I doubt any other program is going to help. But you're welcome to try.

I think it may be easier to do this from a Windows machine (my drive is FAT32), but I haven't tried.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.