Powerbook External screen???

K

kissmyarse

Hey i have a 15" powerbook combo and wanted to buy the 23 inch apple display to use as an external display n also as a tv but then i found out that i cant use a tv tuner card with my pb since i dont have a PCI slot so can anyone suggest me either a tv tuner card compatible with pb or an tv/screen which can be used as a computer as well as a tv!!! Plzz help :confused: :confused:

OP
O

Orion119

Just because you don't have a tuner card doesn't mean you can't hook up your powerbook to a tv.

Depending on what kind of tv you've got you can just hook up the powerbook to one AV from the "s-video out" in the powerbook, and the TV signal into the RF or other AV in the tv and just switch between the two depending on whether you want to watch tv or the computer.

This is as simple as a push of a button on a remote with the newer tv's today.

OP
K

kissmyarse

yeah i use the s-vid out to connect to my tv to watch dvd's on a bigger screeen but when i switch to the coputer mode using the F7 button the graphics nor the text is very clear so do you suggest that i get a better tv b'coz my tv is pretty good n the tv quality is amazing but in the computer mode its total crap.........so isa there any possible reason why....and suggest some other screen which use dvi conn. like the apple screens!!!!Thankxxx in advance..

OP
W

Wapa18

the reason that the tv quality is crap on the powerbook is because computer screens can display much higher resolutions than tv screens do. the resolution of tv broadcasts is nowhere near high enough to make it look good on computer monitors. hdtv might be good enough, but definitely not regular cable or satellite.

OP
M

m1k

^Agreed.

To see what he means, take a close look at your comp monitor vs your TV. Your comp monitor has many more pixels and they are much closer together as well as much smaller. Your TV has MUCH larger pixels. This is because you normally watch your TV from the couch at least a few feet away, whereas you operate your computer right next to the screen, so the contrast has to be MUCH higher.

I don't advise using your 23" Apple display for TV. It will suck.

OP
K

kissmyarse

Thannxx guys i really needed the help so ive decided to get a new hdtv as well as the 23" apple display........hehehehehe :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.