Love My MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and I just wanted to say that I've had my Macbook Pro for 2 months now and I absolutely love it. I don't know why waited so long to make the switch to a Mac. I had 2 pc laptops, I kept one and then gave the other one to my sister, now that I know that I can dual boot a mac with either bootcamp or parrallels I'm never gonna need the other pc laptop again. I love everything I can do with my Mac and still learning more everyday. I recommend to everyone doubting to switch some advice..trust me you will not be disappointed, plus you have all the helpful people on this forum to ask for help and advice. Trust me you'll be saying the same thing I did.

Mike
15" Macbook pro, 2.4 duo processors, 2 gigs ram, 250 gig hard drive and plan on installing either bootcamp or parrallels or even both if possible.

Reaction score
Is your Mac running Tiger or Leopard? If it's the latter then Bootcamp is already included.

Also, yes you can have both Bootcamp and Parallels installed. I currently have Vista installed on Bootcamp and XP running on Parallels (Although I hardly ever use either. Having always used Macs and never having owned a PC I basically just did it because I could)

OEM version of Vista Home Premium (£65 ish from Amazon) works fine with Bootcamp but you can't then use the same copy on Parallels (Or probably vise versa)

OP
M
Reaction score
My MBP is running on Leopard still, I have the Leopard upgrade that came with it but just haven't upgraded yet. I like to read up on things alot before making any upgrades plus I'm still learning how to use my Mac to it's full potential. I'm going to upgrade it when I have some time off from school, at the same time I'm going to install bootcamp. I wanna install parallels too so I can use my scanner that I used on my pc laptop when I need to.
When I install bootcamp I'm gonna be running windows xp. I don't like Vista too much, Hopefully I can run Xp on both, if not then I have to settle for Vista on BootCamp and xp on parallels.

I been looking for a tutorial that tells me how to install parallels and bootcamp on the same partition if it's possible?

Reaction score
Install XP on Bootcamp first and then when you install Parallels it will ask you if you want to use your Bootcamp partition. Simple as.

You're Ok to use XP on both, it's Vista where the problems lie, as Microsoft does not allow the Home versions to be used in any virtual environments like Parallels or Fusion.

What scanner is it? Will it not work on OSX?

OP
M
Reaction score
Sweet that sounds simple enough.

It's an old hp 4200 scanjet. It can run on OS X but the scanning software is not compatible with OS X i think, I have to double check as soon as I find the book for it. i'm also gonna see if I can find the updated drivers for it.

How is your experience with Vista on Bootcamp?

Reaction score
Amazingly it actually works fine.

I've used Vista quite a bit over the last 12 months on a friends daughter's PC laptop (Which had Vista pre-installed) and it has been a nightmare, with problem after problem. I am basically sick of troubleshooting the thing for her.

However, on my iMac (2.4 C2D, 2 Gigs RAM) it runs quite smoothly and has been almost trouble free.

It's an old hp 4200 scanjet. It can run on OS X but the scanning software is not compatible with OS X

Do you actually need the scanning software? As long as the drivers are there then you can import from the scanner in Photoshop etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a mac: Windows XP, Ubunu 8:04 2GB's RAM Intel petuimu 4
I love everything I can do with my Mac and still learning more everyday. I recommend to everyone doubting to switch some advice..trust me you will not be disappointed, plus you have all the helpful people on this forum to ask for help and advice. Trust me you'll be saying the same thing I did.

If that is guaranteed im getting a Mac please say it is

OP
M
Reaction score
lol! I wonder why that is... Maybe they were originally creating Vista to run on a Mac. haha!

Do you have any kind of printers, scanners hooked up to your mac and running on vista?
If so, are you having any kind of printer driver, or any other hardware issues like you would if they were running on a pc?

Reaction score
I've got a Canon ip4000 printer and Canon Lide35 scanner connected. Not had any trouble with the printer but I can't comment on the scanner, as I've never tried to use it in Vista.

I'm using my Powerbook downstairs at the moment but I'll give the scanner a whirl in Vista later tonight and let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just wished I switched sooner. Think of this also, you can have the best of both worlds. Running Windows on a Mac and then OS X!

Where's my wallet, im not sure I would EVER want to see Windows again when I get a Mac.

Still can't find my DARN wallet.

Here it is I will hopefully order one tomorrow.

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you actually need the scanning software? As long as the drivers are there then you can import from the scanner in Photoshop etc.

You know I never thought of that either. I'm also new to the world of CS3. Still learning that in School. How would I do that. Just import it from the Scanner in photoshop?

I was also wondering if the scanners quickscan buttons will work? Maybe not I think.

OP
M
Reaction score
I've got a Canon ip4000 printer and Canon Lide35 scanner connected. Not had any trouble with the printer but I can't comment on the scanner, as I've never tried to use it in Vista.

Are the scanner and printer Vista compatible or no?
I know that Vista has had problems with thier drivers, no upgraded drivers for alot of hardware that is not compatible with it.

Reaction score
Yep, just click 'file' then 'import' and your scanner should appear on the drop-down list.

OP
M
Reaction score
Where's my wallet, im not sure I would EVER want to see Windows again when I get a Mac.

Still can't find my DARN wallet.

Here it is I will hopefully order one tomorrow.

lol!
I ordered mine online with all the bells and whistles.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'll see how the scanner works when I upgrade to Leopard and install bootcamp. Post my findings then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol!
I ordered mine online with all the bells and whistles.

That's what I am doing BUT I don't have a credit card and there's a special phone number you need to ring PLUS I want my educational discount.

OP
M
Reaction score
That's what I am doing BUT I don't have a credit card and there's a special phone number you need to ring PLUS I want my educational discount.

I got my educational discount when I ordered it online. I just ordered it from the Apple online store.

You could try to put the money on one of those temporary credit cards that you can get from a check cashing place or where ever you can wire money from, then just order it online. That's what I did. Just make sure that you let the credit card company know ahead of time that you are going to be making a online purchase with a high price that way they do not think that the card has been stolen and refuse the transaction. Most companies limit you to a daily spending limit, one call fixes that all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got my educational discount when I ordered it online. I just ordered it from the Apple online store.

You could try to put the money on one of those temporary credit cards that you can get from a check cashing place or where ever you can wire money from, then just order it online. That's what I did. Just make sure that you let the credit card company know ahead of time that you are going to be making a online purchase with a high price that way they do not think that the card has been stolen and refuse the transaction. Most companies limit you to a daily spending limit, one call fixes that all.

Sorry I don't no what you mean.
please may you try and explain again.

OP
M
Reaction score
There is this check cashing place in the U.S. that's called Amscott. They allow you to cash checks, wire money overseas and they sell money orders. (like a check you pay cash for, you can pay bills for with it if you don't have a checking account) Well they have this credit card that you can sign up for and load money on it to use for online purchases, or if you do not want to carry alot of money with you. it's basicailly a pre-paid credit card.

I went to them, got a pre-paid credit card with the money loaded on it, went online to the apple store clicked on the educational store and then just ordered it from there.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.