I've had my Mac 7 months... now I want to destroy my Dell

Reaction score
Hi all. I love my MBP and would never think of going back to the dell piece of junk I once had. I have a question, though. I no longer use my dell laptop, but it has some important info on it (even though it doesn't work well at all....is extremely slow and crappy). I don't really have plans to sell it, and I don't want to just 'throw it away' because I fear someone could retrieve information on it if they really wanted to. I have absolutely no use for the computer. What do I do with it? Destroy it? How would I delete the files on it? or clean sweep the hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD
I agree with skeptik and just destroy it. just make sure to get the information you need out of it first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.2ghz dual core, 8600gt 128mb, 120gig hd, 2 gig ram
try selling it, make a few bucks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What model Dell Laptop is it? Might be worth selling. $$$ is $$$ after all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I'd reformat the drive and see if I couldn't sell it. Chances are you're going to sell that old, slow machine to someone who doesn't know how nor is interested in attempting to retrieve that sensitive information.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are always people around that could use a computer, but just can't afford one. Ask around. I don't have the room nor the desire to keep all my old systems, so I have always been able to find someone deserving of them. While old and dead to me, it's still new and exciting to someone.

You can use a program to write over your old data if it's that sensitive. Most of mine never had anything on them that I was really worried about. I just blow it away. Re-partition, re-format and re-install the OS. Then I'll spend a little time installing the must have software on it - you know Adobe (or Fox-it reader), flash, Open Office....

Someone will get a lot of enjoyment out of something that is basically trash to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
Destroying it would be a waste. I'd rather you give it free/sell it cheaply to someone who needs that Dell for work and stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
I've taken old systems to Goodwill. They are usually quite happy to take them and it's a tax write off for the current value of the machine if you live in the US.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Do like I do, I run a zero fill utility on the hard drives.. it is a much hardier formatting tool, do a google search for zero fill boot disk.. Then I stock pile the old computers until I find someone that needs it. The area I live in is fairly rural and poor, so I give out as many computers and laptops as I can to school kids and families trying to get on their feet. Or mail it to me and I will make sure a family in need gets it.

Randy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 1.25Ghz Powerbook G4 1.67
I know how you feel, but what a waste.

Either remove the HD replace it and sell on ebay.
You can then make the old HD into an external one by buying a case for it.

Give it to someone you trust with you're files. Mine went to my mother.

Or remove the HD and give it to a needy cause, but they have to replace the HD themselves.

Don't just trash it.

I really do know how you feel though, by the time I bought my Mac I'd begun to punch my desktop and my laptop in frustration.
They have both been rehomed with persons who appreciate them now though and I'm happy about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I'll take it off of your hands. I can do a 32-pass format. I don't want your info on the laptop when I get it.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks everyone for your feedback. :) I think I will be wise with what I do with it... and give it to someone who needs it, but first I will take precautionary measures and delete my info. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a mac: Windows XP, Ubunu 8:04 2GB's RAM Intel petuimu 4
thanks everyone for your feedback. :) I think I will be wise with what I do with it... and give it to someone who needs it, but first I will take precautionary measures and delete my info. Thanks.

Sounds good and nice :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Reaction score
dban.sourceforge.net

Darik's Boot and Nuke is the standard in the PC world for securely wiping drives. It gives you several options of how secure a deleting process you want - Department of Defence, RCMP, Internation man of intrige, that sort of thing.

It's a free program. Burn to disk, and boot from the CD. Just remember, the higher the secure delete you choose, the longer it will take to finish. DoD Wipe can take more than a day depending on the size of you drive. I just use a 3 pass wipe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.