Please Help!!!! G5 Frozen!

Reaction score
After playing music via itunes all day, then updating my ipod, the blessed program decided to crash and come back with maybe 1/5 of all my songs and deleted my playlists. This is probably the 3rd time such a thing has happened with itunes. I figured an update was in order and plugged into the internet to do just that. Since the mac is never connected, quite a few programs came up needing updates. I agreed and let it do it's thing. After all was done I rebooted only to get no further than the grey apple plus the spinning wheel screen. No keys responded, the disc drive wouldn't open, nothing. Had to unplug to turn off. Tried rebooting 3 or so more times, left it on for a few hours hoping it would fix itself. Still nothing. There is currently nothing but music and a few pictures on the hard drive. No video or much else saved. Please help. I didn't switch to mac for any other reason than to avoid pc type problems, like freezing and viruses, and here I am with a bigger problem at hand. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
you can also try booting up holding down the "shift" key. this takes you into "safe mode". if it starts up, go to applications>utilities>disk utility, and verify and repair disk permissions. then verify disk and repair if necessary. then restart normally. this might do the trick.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well thanks for the suggestions...I held the shift key down as I pressed the power button and it went to the same grey apple/spinning wheel screen for a few seconds then went black and restarted. I kept the shift key down the whole time and it did the same thing a couple times. Released the shift key and back to the original problem.

Any suggestions?

OP
T
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the mac may not like my old monitor anymore...true?

Holding down C didn't do anything but didn't think it would since I can't open the disc drive. Tried safe mode and fsck as per the article and got nowhere. fsck didn't do anything except start the fans running ridiculously loud and high.

Should I force open the disc drive somehow?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.