• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac sounds

G

Gar

as long as i can remember two things have never changed about the mac the startup noise and the presence of the sosumi alert noise. does anyone know if the so-sue-me thing is just a coincidence or is there any story behind it?

OP
G

Gar

Sosumi
Sosumi is one of the system sounds introduced in Apple Computer's System 7 operating system. Popular rumor has it that the sound's unusual name was coined after a legal settlement with Apple Records, the Beatles' recording company.
Apple Records sued Apple Computer for trademark infringement after Apple Computer added sound to their computers. The lawsuit was settled with the agreement that Apple Computer would never enter the recording industry. Several years later, Apple Computer began adding microphones as standard peripherals with their computers. These microphones were for recording (of course), and as the story goes, the Apple developers named one of the sample sounds "Sosumi" ("So sue me") as a way of thumbing their noses at Apple Records. Apple Records did not sue.

Maybe i should have searched *first*
also it seems as long as i can remember isnt that long!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
Hahaha, that's hilarious.

Gotta love the Beatles. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.