Ignoring old harddrive contents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MP 2x2.66GHz || 8GBs|| (INT) [email protected] (EXT) 1x1,[email protected]
I recently erased one of my internals and installed Leopard there, and switched to it for daily use. I still have the contents of the old drive intact, with all my old applications and whatnot on it.

However, currently, applications on the old drive are still registering themselves or whatever with services, so I have files trying to open themselves in old copies of apps, I have 'Open with...' dialogs displaying applications from the old drive, and I have Quicksilver trying to open apps from that drive incorrectly. Is there anyway to ignore the old drive for these purposes other than simply ejecting it? I don't want to have to go to disk utility to mount the drive everytime I need an old file...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can take this as you wish - am only thinking aloud here.

Not really sure I understand what's happening and am haven't been using a Mac that long. And I don't use Quicksilver.

Having said that, do you have Spotlight indexing that old drive?
(Or some similar preference in Quicksilver?)
This would cause all the old applications to appear in the dialogs and such.

Am thinking at this point, even after you add the old drive to Spotlight's Privacy tab, you may still have some old files trying to open in the older apps.

Or maybe it's just a matter of doing a "Get Info" of the individual file types from the old drive and changing it's "Open with" preference. This pointer may still pointing at the app on that old drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.