iMac G5: Sound issue!!

M

Mainyehc

I'm starting to get desperate... I've detected TWO issues already with my new iMac... First, the fan noise, and now, the speakers...
I don't think this is a hardware-related issue. My internal speakers sound great (although not as good as the my old iMac's Pro Speakers), very crisp and clear. Now, what's weird is the system's strange inability to mix different sounds properly!! When I'm listening to something in iTunes, and adjust the sound volume, that short blip-like sound most of the times sounds weird... And the same goes for the default sound, like when you try using exposé w/o any open windows. I don't know about this... I'm running OS X 10.3.5, the same OS I was running in my other iMac. I had no such issues with my iMac G4, from Jaguar (10.2.8) to 10.3.5. I'm not so lucky with my new iMac G5. It's not that annoying, as OS X doesn't play a lot of system sounds by default, but it isn't normal anyway... Is it some firmware problem?? I tried using some external speakers, and guess what... That issue is gone!
I also would like to know if I could use the original speakers and external ones at the same time (AFAIK, in both the iMac G4 and the iMac G5, I haven't been able to do that... maybe using the optical line out??), but since I don't like these speakers as much as the old ones (and I got very used to them and love listening to music, so...) and this issue is solved by letting the internal ones just shut up, I'm not so sure I want to use that combination.
Anyway, even though I know a way around this, it's still very weird... Anyone else noticing this??

OP
M

mtrouardriolle

Mainyehc said:
what's weird is the system's strange inability to mix different sounds properly!! When I'm listening to something in iTunes, and adjust the sound volume, that short blip-like sound most of the times sounds weird... And the same goes for the default sound, like when you try using exposé w/o any open windows.

This seems to be something quite a few people are suffering from - including me! Not a huge issue and not one that I believe is hardware based, but hopefully just a patch/firmware update. From what little information I have found elsewhere, Apple are looking into this at the moment....

Marc
iMac G5 20"

OP
M

m1k

That's odd about the sound distortion... Not having an iMac G5, I can't really help you, sorry.

About using the Pro Speakers: You can still use them with your new iMac, using iFire (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/ifire/).

If you want to use both speakers at the same time, I don't think you can. I have a PowerBook and I haven't figured out how to use both the internal speakers and the external ones at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
m1k said:
That's odd about the sound distortion... Not having an iMac G5, I can't really help you, sorry.

About using the Pro Speakers: You can still use them with your new iMac, using iFire (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/ifire/).

If you want to use both speakers at the same time, I don't think you can. I have a PowerBook and I haven't figured out how to use both the internal speakers and the external ones at the same time.
no, you cant use both internal and external speakers at the same time, any external speakers connected take over automatically. also, have you tried booting into safe boot mode by holding shift on startup? I have friends with g5 imacs that dont experience this problem, its just a thought.

OP
M

m1k

Actually, I was just looking, and with the PowerMac G5 you can have it playing through two sources. This is because one line-out plug is on the back, and one is on the front.

I don't have an iMac G5, so I can't try whatever you're proposing with safe mode. I think it works on my PowerBook though...

Reaction score
Um... does it really matter? If its bothering you with just chimes, then just mute it. That or just get external speakers. The iMac G5 speakers built in are probably really low end. Get new speakers if its that annoying!

OP
M

mtrouardriolle

I was suffering from the same sound issue (multiple sound channels playing at the same time), though the problem has disappeared.

All that has been done is a reset of the PRAM and an update to OS X 10.3.6.

Is there anyone else that's had this problem, tried the OS X update and can corroborate this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.