average lifetime of a MacBook?

Reaction score
what is the average lifetime of a macbook? how long have you had yours? and is it working as good as new?

i have all these questions cause i jsut got mine a few days ago and i will be attending college in the fall and i want it to last me atleast 4 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I'm not sure if there is an official life time for a MacBook. I guess it will last as long as its well looked after.

There a few round these parts with the older mac portables and they seem happy enough.

Personally I've had mine just over 1 year, the hard drive was replaced at about 9 months but I think that was the exception rather than the rule. My MacBook is still fast, smooth and a pleasure to use.

If you can splash a little more cash then get the apple care as well for that extra piece of mind.

My MacBook has a few scratches on it, but then it had a few when I got it as it was a refurb. I've added a few more but still looks great to me. I guess the metal MacBook pros are a little tougher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I just got rid of my MacBook and I purchased it the same month they came out about 1.5 years ago, It was in top condition without a single failure other then the discoloration on the palm reset area that was replaced by apple under warranty and has since been rectified

Reaction score
I have a 13 years old Powerbook 165c that still runs! Only thing that goes dead is the battery, so it can only run with AC adapter.

Next thing that probably goes is the hard drive...

These notebooks are pretty long lasting if you treat them right.

Reaction score
as long as you treat it with the respect it deserves and clean it regularly and do your software updates and all that good stuff there should be no reason you shouldn't get four years out of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.