Recognizing a USB Printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
OK, I kinda'gave up on the LinkSys print server route so I connected my HP 1220c via USB to my iMac. I am able to print but the quality seems to be marginal at best. Going to HP's web site, they tell you that the latest driver for this printer was released last Fall, and that it's embedded in Leopard. When I try to "install" the printer or check it... it seems to insist on using the Gutenprint driver rather than a full-blown HP driver that would allow me to select print quality, paper size, paper quality and a million other things.

Should I remove gutenprint from my system or is there a way to "find" the driver I need in the OS? And nope... HP will not let me manually download the mac driver. The process of adding a printer/driver should be a little more automated, but I'm a noobie so maybe I'm missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I had a similar issue when I plugged in my laser printer. I removed the Gutenprint drivers from my Mac and then plugged in my printer. It's been working great ever since.

So in short, get rid of the drivers and then try plugging it in.

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I tried downloading and installing this driver, and while I am able to print via the USB connection with it... the driver seems to be a "bare bones" simple driver and nothing like the windows driver where you are offered to choose paper sizes up to and including tabloid, single weight or double weight, regular, matte, or glossy finish, different printing resolutions, bleed, crop marks, and dozens of other options on a multi-tabbed driver window.

Going to HP's web site, you are told that a driver for the 12220c series is already in the OS X 10.5 system, and after searching the install disc I found a folder that claims to have a driver. There are seven files in that folder and some are plugins and some are another format. There is no readme or instructions on how to install or which of those seven files are to be installed.

So before I can try that driver out... I need to find out how to utilize the files in that folder. It would also be nice if I could find someone with a Mac who is using a HP1220c and a USB connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have an HP 1220c connected via USB! Using Leopard 10.5.2

I also gave up on the print server method. I ordered a Time Capsule (needed a new router and also a new external drive). I am hopeful to be able to be able to network the printer using the full blown HP driver. The Gutenprint driver is useless in terms of having any options to select.

I am using version 3.3 of the HP driver. I think I removed the existing installed printers from the system preferences, plugged in the USB printer, turned it on, and clicked the "+" button to add a printer. It found the printer and also found the appropriate driver.

Apple says Leopard includes the 1220c HP driver. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306684#hpdrivers

If you still have problems, let me know. I'll be happy to reinstall my printer and take note of the exact steps.

BTW: Using my D-Link print server, I was forced to use the stripped down Gutenprint driver. My Mac detects the print server, not the printer attached to it, so it only allows a generic driver. Does anyone know if I will have more of a driver selection using Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.