White or Black. Which is Cleaner

Reaction score
Im getting ready to buy a macbook and cant decide which will stay cleaner. I used to have a sony vaio with a white keyboard and they keys and trackpad always got dirty. Also will I notice much of a difference in speed between the 2.0ghz and 2.2. I will be upgrading to 4gb ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
I've had both, and now have the White MB. The White MB will not show scratches/fingerprints and generally has a "cleaner" look to it. However, when cleaned, the black MB is very sexy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I've had both, and now have the White MB. The White MB will not show scratches/fingerprints and generally has a "cleaner" look to it. However, when cleaned, the black MB is very sexy.

I find the white MacBook also screams HEY LOOK AT ME I AM USING A MAC. Where as the Black one is abit more subdued.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Im getting ready to buy a macbook and cant decide which will stay cleaner. I used to have a sony vaio with a white keyboard and they keys and trackpad always got dirty. Also will I notice much of a difference in speed between the 2.0ghz and 2.2. I will be upgrading to 4gb ram
The one that will stay cleaner is the one you don't use. Get the one you want and you'll be fine. The white one cleans pretty well.

On the difference between 2.0GHz and 2.2GHz, you will notice no difference whatsoever unless you're doing real number crunching and lots of it. (There's an invitation for argument. -_^) In clockspeed alone, you're looking at a 10% clock speed increase of the 2.2 over the 2.0. Some may say they can tell the difference between the two, but a perceived speed difference can be the result of many things, some of which aren't even real. Frankly if the 2.2GHz adds more than 10% to the price and you have to ask if you'll notice the difference, you'd be better going for the 2.0GHz and using the money you save elsewhere.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 1.25Ghz Powerbook G4 1.67
If you play outdoors a lot, like me, the white keys and trackpad really show the dirt.
It was ok though, just needs wiping every day or so.

Never seen a black one myself, I don't know which I'd have if I got another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
I find the white MacBook also screams HEY LOOK AT ME I AM USING A MAC. Where as the Black one is abit more subdued.

Hehe, that too... ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hehe, that too... ;-)

Yeah I used to have a White MacBook at the time I bought it because the the premium price on the black but I did find it got noticed alot more, The Black one looks like any other Laptop except for the glowing Apple on the back (which I might add looks awesome on black).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
The guy at Best Buy told me the black one tends to build up a lot of grease. Also, from what I could tell in person, the black one is actually a very dark gray...big turn-off for me.

From the experiences with mine, the white one is pretty easy to dust clean...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
here in brazil, macs are considered rich people's whims.
i haven't used my black MB anywhere except my bedroom yet.
because i live in a small town, i can see people looking at me with the "who-do-you-think-you-are" vibe...

also, i still don't have a case/sleeve, so i can't see this baby leaving the house anytime soon ;)

but to stay on topic, i am SO GLAD i choose the black one. i can't see myself taking care of the white one, i would probably want to clean it daily...
and there are so many stories of cases/sleeves staining it...

Reaction score
i have the white macbook and number one you aren't going to be able to tell in the speed between 2.0 and 2.2ghz. the dirty palmrest was a big problem in the older macbooks but the newer ones don't have that problem nearly as bad. with any computer it requires some cleaning. if you want to spring for the extra cash for the blackbook then go ahead it looks great and is a little faster but if you don't want to spend that much then all you need to do is take care of your computer the way you should and everything should be fine

Kial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
I like my black one a lot better than the white one. It does show fingerprints really well tho, but I bet the white one gets dirtier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
I have a black one. It does show fingerprints and such (easily wiped away with a microfiber cloth). In my experience (I'm the only on I know with a blackbook), my friends with white Macbooks all have dingy mousepads. I think the white one shows dirt more, while the black one just gets a little shiny in places. Doesn't bother me... Having a white one and cleaning it everyday to keep it bright white would probably bother me more.

Oh, and I definitely get noticed for having a Blackbook. People don't just think "oh, another black laptop." Macbooks look more elegant (black or white), and stand out clearly among its pc competitors no matter what color.

.jb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB Black iPhone 3G | 13" Black Macbook 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD @ 7200rpm
i have a black one and my roommate has a white one.

i do have to say both are pretty clean, tho the black one will show finger prints and such on the lid alittle easier, the white one overtime shows dirts on where your palms and wrists sit after awhile. common keys aswell.

and when the black is clean, it is very very sleek and professional looking :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
The black will be easier to keep it looking new over time. All it takes to clean it off is a good wipe with a damp cloth. The white, like anything white gets stained and discolored over time, and you don't notice it much until it's caked on dirt that's difficult to get off (particularly the keys, trackpad, and where your arms rest).

I have the black and it shows fingerprints very easily. I just take a damp cloth to it whenever it starts to bother me and it looks brand new again...for about 5 minutes, LOL.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
I prefer the white MB. The black isn't bad, but it doesn't look as good as the white model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There's no way I would get the white one. Every time I go to the Apple store and see people at the Genius Bar with their white Macbooks, they look absolutely horrible with the discolored palm rests and trackpad. Even if they only get slightly discolored, anything discolored against pure white just looks bad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's no way I would get the white one. Every time I go to the Apple store and see people at the Genius Bar with their white Macbooks, they look absolutely horrible with the discolored palm rests and trackpad. Even if they only get slightly discolored, anything discolored against pure white just looks bad!

I had that problem with mine it was a rev 1, even after using the laptop over a year after the replacement I didn't have the problem again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
The one that will stay cleaner is the one you don't use. Get the one you want and you'll be fine. The white one cleans pretty well.

On the difference between 2.0GHz and 2.2GHz, you will notice no difference whatsoever unless you're doing real number crunching and lots of it. (There's an invitation for argument. -_^) In clockspeed alone, you're looking at a 10% clock speed increase of the 2.2 over the 2.0. Some may say they can tell the difference between the two, but a perceived speed difference can be the result of many things, some of which aren't even real. Frankly if the 2.2GHz adds more than 10% to the price and you have to ask if you'll notice the difference, you'd be better going for the 2.0GHz and using the money you save elsewhere.

Hope this helps!

be fair...at least mention that the only thing you get with the 2.2 is not the extra mhz, but a dvdburner, and a 160gb HD. and the color.

that is worth the price difference to most people.

i still went for the high level whitebook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I have no problem with discolored palm rests on my MacBook. It may get a little bit dirty but it's nothing a mr clean magic eraser can't clean. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.