Gen 5.5 iPod -- video (podcasts) not formatted for this iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Certain video podcasts (only certain ones -- not all) are not being synced to my iPod. The error message says they are not playable on this iPod. I have subscribed from iTunes, they are not marked as "Apple TV" or "iPhone" etc., so they should play on my iPod. They do play just fine on my computer.

I have unsubscribed, deleted, and resubscribed. I have done a complete restore of my iPod. I have used disk utility to see if it finds anything out of the ordinary on the iPod hard drive (did not find anything -- said it was fine). I have marked the offending podcasts as "not new" and tried syncing only "new" podcasts. None of this has worked! Even when marked as "not new" the same podcasts still come up with the error of not being playable! Seems like they should not show up there at all, as I have them set to not sync. Anybody seen this? Anybody got any answers?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I've come across a few different video podcasts that won't transfer/play on my iPhone, so I think it's a shortcoming of how the podcast was encoded.

If you list a few of the podcasts you're having a problem with, perhaps someone here can try transferring to their ipod to verify this.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Thanks! I have looked at the "get info" pane, and all are either MPEG4 or Quicktime, with an H.264 codec, so that sounds right. The podcasts (watch for a theme, here <grin>) : Anthony Bourdain, Food Guru and Cooking up a Story. A few of Ming Tsai's don't sync (but some do) and there is one Tekzilla that won't sync (somenthing about DIY - it is pretty old).

Anybody successfully subscribe to these? They play great on my computer, just won't go to iPod.

Thanks for any help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.