Reinstall Leopard

Reaction score
i want to upgrade my macbook pro's hard drive. the problem is, what about leopard and windows vista, which are installed on my mac using boot camp?
i bought my mac just a few days after leopard was released, and my mac still had tiger on it. instead of giving me a regular copy of leopard (or at least i don't think they did) i got what they called a CPU Drop In DVD. I'm a switcher and i know only of Microsoft's harsh copy-protection ways, bur will apple be the same? can i use my original leopard disk, and not have to buy a new license or something?
similarly, what about windows? i had to enter a code for that, which can't be promising. Vista is expensive, and a new (and bigger) hard drive + vista Ultimate is gonna break me. Even Vista Premium will.
any help would be much appreciated.:Oops: :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
The drop in DVD will work just fine. Perhaps someone else can chime in though to say whether that DVD is an upgrade disk only or if it can be installed w/o installing Tiger, I'm not sure.

Regarding Vista, whatever MS makes you do on a PC you'll have to do on the Mac, it's no different. To make things easier, try using Winclone first to capture your Bootcamp partition to an image. Then just drop that image on your Leopard Bootcamp partition.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
If you install Vista onto another HDD, you might run the risk of having your validation code rejected if you made other changes to your computer because Vista thinks it's being installed on a different machine. Likewise, if you clone the Vista installation, it may flag itself as "not genuine" when it phones home. You can usually resolve this by talking to a friendly Microsoft employee on the phone and explain what you are doing. And then maybe you won't. It depends on how sincere and convincing you are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.