Mac for Graphic Design major

Reaction score
Well I did a search, not much there. So

What would you recommend? If you bought a computer for this use. Dont have to be over the top, but very useable. Specs are welcome. This isn't a "whats better" thing, just if you were going to school for Graphics Design, what would you buy? Maybe why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Don't skimp on the monitor. If you must use an LCD, get an IPS panel.

Trust me in this. Calibrate calibrate calibrate.

Ram is your best friend, processor is your greatest helper, a graphics card is your worst deception, and get used to becoming a videophile.

For your purposes, an iMac would be best. Unless your school has the desktops, in which case don't be afraid to get a MBP so you can go mobile and use their lab facilities. They should be your second home if you don't have the professional power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I would recommend a MacBook Pro. Desktops are nice, but I would be prepared to live at school, and transferring files/fonts/pictures etc everytime you want to work at school or go home to work can be a real pain.

What is nice about the laptop is you can take it, so you never have to worry about something happening during a transfer. I would never recommend a desktop to a design student for the simple fact that portability will be the best thing for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
PRT has a good point. I was going to suggest an iMac, the 24", but a laptop might be more suited for designing on the move.
My cousin has two faster desktop machines but he left them at home because he used his slower laptop most of the time.
I would look into a 15" MBP, a 20"+ display for work at your desk, and a colorimeter as EGGO mentioned. With that combination, you will get portability, a larger screen when working at your desk, and everything will be nice and accurate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An external display is a really good idea, I didnt think about that.

Reaction score
I like the ideas of Macbook Pros that everyone suggested, but invest in a nice external monitor that you can use in your dorm or at home (wherever you stay)

OP
C
Reaction score
What about the 17" with the high def option? Or would that not compare to a larger screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If you can afford it, the high rez screen is an option. I've never seen one though. It has a high resolution but the 17" is still kind of small. I would recommend atleast a 20" screen of graphics work which is why I recommended a secondary monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Hope you don't reply, I want to bring the PM to this discussion, since it seems a lot of things here are repeating to what I told you there.

CL33Zero said:
EGGO said:
CL33Zero said:
Thanks alot for the great reply. Your new here, so hi. But you obviously know alot more than me about such things. So how would you configure a MacBook pro if you were to get one for such things? Ram? Processor speed and such. Also, are you a graphic artist? Im thinking about declaring that my major as I have a great interest in it. What would I expect?

Max out that MBP as much as you can about anything, except for memory. People say you should buy that separately for budget reasons. Invest in an external hard drive and if you really want to, another monitor. As for graphic arts, be prepared for tons of competition. I mean tons. You will have to become a graphic art NERD.

Ya, Im never buying Apple Ram. Ok, so I would pretty much have to do nothing but practice. Wow. Anything else? Kinds of things you have to do? Opportunities? Hints? Tips?

Thanks alot. Sorry for bugging you so much too:D

Hullo! A graphic artist? I am as a hobby. I'm a creative advertiser, actually, but I'm an artist on DepthCore and our guys are practically regularly published in the UK magazine, "Computer Arts."

After you get all the equipment down, all you need is talent. This is not an occupation where you stay inside all day. You need to go outside, soak in inspiration, experience something new everytime you can. Notice things that you never notice, look up, look down, look out, look in. Go everywhere, be anywhere. Pay attention to your moods. Experiment. Progress.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about the 17" with the high def option? Or would that not compare to a larger screen?

I have a 17" MacBook Pro and a guy in my class has one and both of us are of the opinion we would never use anything else. I love this computer, even if it's big.

My opinion on the High Def verison is that it's not needed for design. You only print at 300 dpi so your screen being in high def isnt going to give you anything except a higher resolution on your screen.

Personally I would save the money from buying the high def and sink it into either an external HD, external display, or ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let us know what you decide and good luck in school. I am about to graduate with a graphic design degree, so now the fun starts in trying to find a job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5, Dual 2GHz Processors, 4GB RAM, MBP, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB iTouch
I bought my G5 about a year before I graduated and basically bought the top of the line model and then just added it to my school loans.

It's been 4.5 years and I just started upgrading some of the components. It's been a true workhorse all this time. So yes... A MAC will be great for a graphic design major.

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more EGGO. As a designer, you must take in all the little details that lie around, the simple, the mundane, this all can be inspiration to achieve the pinnacle within your design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
so a question based on the same subject...I just bought a 24" iMac for the same purpose...graphic design major...so was this a mistake or a good idea...I do also have a fairly powerful sony laptop that I also use?....

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm just barely going into my major, but from the sound of everyone here, unless you need the portablity, no not really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
I'm a graphic design student (I'll be graduating in May with my BFA), and my primary computer is a 17" MacBook Pro, hi-def screen, with 4GB RAM.

I love the screen size, power, and portability. I bring it to class everyday and never have any of the problems with compatibility, transfers, missing fonts, etc... that the other students do. Whatever I do in class, is right there when I'm home, and visa versa. Portability is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
yea I am just starting with my major...I hope to later on get a macbook pro but for now I decided to go with the desktop because i am setting up a home office to do some other work out of...so is it a huge problem with putting some things on a windows based laptop and then moving them to an iMac??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Inpspired

Hope you don't reply, I want to bring the PM to this discussion, since it seems a lot of things here are repeating to what I told you there.

Dude! That was a deep ending! seriously!My Father has a degree in photography and i personally have always been somewhat of a picture taking freak. Here lately i have really began to go full swing into it, Since the birth of my newborn son. I just wanted to say that was a very inspirational
ending!
Hullo! A graphic artist? I am as a hobby. I'm a creative advertiser, actually, but I'm an artist on DepthCore and our guys are practically regularly published in the UK magazine, "Computer Arts."

After you get all the equipment down, all you need is talent. This is not an occupation where you stay inside all day. You need to go outside, soak in inspiration, experience something new everytime you can. Notice things that you never notice, look up, look down, look out, look in. Go everywhere, be anywhere. Pay attention to your moods. Experiment. Progress.
That was very inspirational!The ending portion.I really like the way you put that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

yea I am just starting with my major...I hope to later on get a macbook pro but for now I decided to go with the desktop because i am setting up a home office to do some other work out of...so is it a huge problem with putting some things on a windows based laptop and then moving them to an iMac??
Actually its not.You can use http://www.parallels.com/en/landingpage/dskd24_2/?gclid=COqMtMCG7ZECFQF-lgod9Hz8xA
Parallels Desktop 3.0 for mac(Enables you to run windows natively while still running your osx).There is another program that makes the transfer of files much easier but i am unable to remember the name of the software.If i remember then ill come back to this post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.