Mac for Graphic Design major

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Did I actually say, "Hope you don't reply?" Oh jeez man I'm sorry! I meant to say, "Hope you don't MIND."

Reaction score
Just buy what you can afford at the time, don't go broke trying to buy new computers all the time. Older machines work great as well, I am still using a PowerBook, it's great! I have an iMac as well, had the iMac first. Long story, but when I got out of college in 98, I din't have money for a Mac, I bought cheaper Windows based machines and boy was that bad. But, I did that for many years, I kind of got used to it, till one day, I just gave away my Dell and bought a used Mac on the bay. Didn't look back since. So, as you all are just starting school, no need ot run out and buy the flashiest Mac, your tuning a gift, if you don't have the gift, there's not one computer that will help you. So, utilize your school lab, transfer files on a thumb and set up a nice big iMac at home. I am so spoiled by the screen now and mines only a 20". You don't need portability in today's day and age.

Reaction score
I've been a graphic designer/art director for what? 30+ years now? Yep, getting along in years........I use an 800 MHz Power PC G4 with 1GB or RAM at home with a Samsung 19" LSD (with the TV built in - comes in handy). I have two internal 250 GB drives and 5 External 250's. I just sold my 12" Powerbook and bought the Black Macbook and have 4 GB of RAM in it. Video is handled by the chip set so it has no video card, but it runs at 2.2 Ghz and that's plenty of processor speed for photography or quick alterations to projects on the fly.

I use a dual processor G5 at work. I run Tiger on the home G4 and G5 at work but run Leopard on the Macbook. I've very pleased with what i have and it works for my use. The home G4 may be outdated now but it does what I need it to do and until that is no longer the case, I'll continue using it. Ive never been seduced by having to run out and buy the very latest and greatest - "if it aint't broke, don't fix it." Constant upgrading costs a lot of bucks and in most cases, simply isn't necessary in graphic design unless your machine has to crunch a lot of polygons like doing animation or heavy video work.

Your software is important and your knowledge of what you can do with it to create and sell someone's product or service. for exxample, look at how many add-ons are available for Adobe Photoshop (or plug-Ins) amazing!

Everr used the Dreamsuite plug in? WOW!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
thanks alot for your input on the subject....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac pro dual quad
hello all. new to the board but been a mac user since 02. i am in school for motion graphics and i just purchased the mac pro dual 2.8 ghz quad core. as an artist, dont skimp out on the equipment you use. what programs are you running? i believe an imac would be more than enough for your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Let us know what you decide and good luck in school. I am about to graduate with a graphic design degree, so now the fun starts in trying to find a job.

Exact same here dude, exact same :Oops:

Regarding the original question. I use the iMac 24", with 4GB RAM. Pretty much as far as you can take an iMac.

It does the job great too! Very good machine.

I changed the mouse to a logitech precision one, as the apple mouse just drove me totally insane when trying to move graphics small increments.

So yeah, iMac is the one. No need to go pro just yet IMO. There are some valid points for getting a laptop but most of them involve an other external display, or relying on your school. Get an iMac 24" and be done with it is my advice. If it comes to it they are indeed portable as well, as is any computer, although the laptop would win if portability is a real issue.

Good luck with your studies.

Reaction score
1. Depends on you! I'm in Graphic Design and different people get different things.
Though our labs at school are extensive, I chose to get something portable because I knew I'd need to be "connected" at all times. Obviously, the MacBook isn't nearly enough power, so I went MBP! I thought the 17" was too big and heavy and the 15" was bearable, so I went smaller.

2. DEFINITELY get an external monitor. Apple Cinema displays are amazing... but so much more expensive than comparable others, so do your research!

3. If not for the portability issue, you can go with an iMac. I really wouldn't suggest getting the newer ones, though, you don't want a glossy screen for graphics work. Even though they're matte screens covered with glass (I'm told) so the colors stay true, you don't want to deal with the glare for hours on end! So I'd look into buying used or something refurbished. Again, I would suggest a matte screen if you go for a MBP.

4. Oh, and as mentioned before, you need as much RAM as you can get! You'll be running a lot of programs at once and you'll have huge files.

I hope this helps and you can decide which is best for you! =)

Reaction score
I've got a similar question of my own. Here are the facts:

I will be attending Lindenwood University in St.Charles, MO this fall for Graphic Design.
I'm going for free on an academic scholarship.
My parents will buy me a laptop for graduation/college, for portability sake.
I only live 15 minutes from school.
I myself have a little over $2,000.
I really want a Mac :).

My plan:

Buy an iMac of my own to probably keep at home to do work on when not at school or when I can't get to a lab.
Get a macbook as the laptop from my parents to transfer from school to home.
Parents will buy the software.

Thoughts?

Oh, and how awesome would getting 2 Macs at once be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
As long as you get a Mac, you'll be fine.

I can't be doing with laptops personally (designing on a 17 or 15" screen is not for me).

Get a 20 or 24" iMac, or a second hand white one if you can get a good deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
I've been doing amateur/just for fun graphics editing for over a year now. next year 'm taking the graphics course at school (i'm a student). For this i bought a 24" iMac. it serves its purpose , and then some.

I also recommend the 24" iMac (trust me, 24" is what you need) 2Gbs of ram is necessary and 2.4 ghz recommended. also don't load your HD with junk. keep it clean, to keep it running

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz 512 MB RAM 250GB HD Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard
I'm in a similar situation, what I will be doing is buying a 17" MacBook Pro and A 24-30" External monitor (probably from dell)... It will cost quite a bit but I think it will be worth it for reasons that have already been stated.. the mosel will not be the stock model either.... I'm thinking of 2.6Ghz instead of 2.5 and 4 Gigs of RAM. :p

All the best,

Alan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.