Moving all My iTunes Music Intact

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz 12GB RAM
I am getting an iBook! :D

So of course I need to move all of my music over from my old iMac. I know that I'll need to move My Music over. That's easy. But I also want to retain my Playlists etc....

are there any canned instructions out there on this topic?

L :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could move your whole music collection over and the library file, if the User folder has the same name on both machines it should work fine

Or try migration assistant in Utilities

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Moving iTunes Files

You could move your whole music collection over and the library file, if the User folder has the same name on both machines it should work fine

Or try migration assistant in Utilities

Thanks for the response 'louishen'> Can you tell me where I can fund the Library file?

I'll find if this works soon enough as FedEx is saying delivery by noon tomorrow.

Oh Happy Days!

:Evil:/ :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There is a truly simple way. Simply copy your ENTIRE iTunes folder hierarchy onto an external hard disk. Connect this disk to your new machine, and copy the ENTIRE thing over to the new machine, REPLACING the existing iTunes hierarchy with the one from the hard drive. You get your music, your playlists, everything. I just did this myself to transfer my iTunes library over to my new MBP. Worked like a charm.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes Library Move

There is a truly simple way. Simply copy your ENTIRE iTunes folder hierarchy onto an external hard disk. Connect this disk to your new machine, and copy the ENTIRE thing over to the new machine, REPLACING the existing iTunes hierarchy with the one from the hard drive. You get your music, your playlists, everything. I just did this myself to transfer my iTunes library over to my new MBP. Worked like a charm.

This is a good idea. I'll probably do that very thing. But across my LAN.

Thanks for replying and the good advice!

;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.