Best way to transfer photos to a Nano

Reaction score
Daughter has just bought a Nano and I have recently scanned our family photos (3000+) into iPhoto on my Mac Mini.

I would like to copy them over onto her Nano.
I see how you can do it using iTunes and not selecting save original file size to save space but on a test run, it still saves as images of 500K and over.

What would be an adequate file size/resolution for an image on a Nano that would be viewable but not to huge and is there another way to convert all the images to a Nano friendly setting automatically?

Thanks for any help..:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
What you do next depends on what your objective is. If you simply want them to display nicely on the Nano, you can do what I do. I copy the originals to a wholly separate folder (which I usually call iPod Photos) and then tell iTunes to sync photos from that folder. iTunes "optimizes" the photos for the iPod as it does the transfer (i.e. size reduces them). The net result looks great on the iPod screen.

If however, you want to be able to pull them off somewhere else, full size, you will need another approach, perhaps enabling hard drive mode on the iPod. I am guessing that this isn't what you want, based on your comments above, but it is another option here.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Yes, it's just to get them for viewing on the Nano.
They are archived at full resolution elsewhere.

I was just checking wether iTunes did actually optimize them for the iPod or what.
As I said, a few of the optimized test photos were over 500K in size which seemed a bit big for what would end up being viewed on a small screen.
Just wondered if I'd missed an option to compress them some more in an iTunes menu somewhere.

Thanks again:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Just wondered if I'd missed an option to compress them some more in an iTunes menu somewhere.
Thanks again:)

...not that I am aware of. I haven't done anything to make it happen - it just happens "automagically".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.