• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iDisk

U

Uni

Hey Peeps
YAY!!! Apple announced the other day that all .Mac members recieve an extra 25mb of storage on their iDisk. How do i make the size of the iDisk on my computer the same size as my one at apple? i've tried to synchronize it and it made no difference...

cheers fellas

Uni/.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB

Go to "Account", not "iDisk"

OP
U

Uni

maybe i should be more clear...

the iDisk on my computer is 100mb

the iDisk at apple is 125mb

how do i make the one on MY computer the same size as the one at apple?

when i start my computer and login i get a warning which says something like "The size of iDisk on your computer is different to your iDisk at .Mac and will be unavailable while the size changes"

the icon then disappears and appears (indicating its unavailablity during the change which lasts about 2 seconds...) which is all fine and dandy except the size of the dopey thing on my computer stays the same...

Uni/.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I have read, in order to get your 250mb of space you need to do what i suggested above.

OP
U

Uni

neva mind man i worked it out, but what you are suggesting changes the size of the iDisk on the Apple servers but not the one on your computer. to do that you must do the following...

first sync your iDisk so that any stuff you may have added after the last sync is on there.

next you have to go to system preferences>.mac, and deselect "create a local copy of your iDisk. Once you have done this, the local copy will be removed and a copy of its contents kept in a .dmg file on your desktop.

once you do this, restart your computer and reselect "create a local copy of your iDisk". this will then create a new copy of the correct sized iDisk on your computer, and will still have all your old stuff.

NOTE: it has to synchronize, so ensure you have plenty of time it can take a while...

Uni/.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Mine switched automatically after the change. Very strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
.Mac

I'm always on a fairly fast network, so I don't bother caching my iDisk locally. I had no difficulties.

I also want to point out something: Amazon and some other retailers are selling the "boxed" .Mac subscriptions for $79. (I got mine from Small Dog Electronics because Amazon was sold out.) If your .Mac subscription is up for renewal, Apple will charge you $100. You can use the box to renew an existing subscription by entering the code in your .Mac account settings.

That's $20 I can use...plus, the boxes have free stickers inside.

OP
C

cde_woods

I followed the instructions above, but my iDisk reads that I only have 125mb storage. Is the rest of it allocated to my .mac e-mail? That seems like a little overkill. Anybody know anything I don't?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I have read, I would say yes.

OP
W

Wapa18

but i'm pretty sure u're able choose for yourself to allocate more storage to one or the other (either to the idisk or to the email account).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.