• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I have an audition for a tutoring job. I need to come up with a 5 minute presentation, teaching something. It can't be related to anything academic.

I have some ideas, but they are pretty mediocre. I thought the collective brain of Mac-Forums might be able to come up with something good. I just need the subject, really. I can easily fill 5 minutes.

Thanks all you butter-balls.

Reaction score
Cooking? They seem to be able to blab about it for a whole thirty mins?

(I will post as ideas come, maybe one strikes gold)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Programming in Perl?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
The internet! A comedian! Bread! A movie!

This year for college I have to do a 5 minute presentation on "a Christian response to an artwork" - artwork being at it's broadest, from art to music to interpretive dance. Could be interesting trying to tackle that one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
How to live in Akron?? :p
How about Mac vs Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Discuss how OPEC brought down the USSR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Look in M-F for threads like, "How do I ...?" Pick something you can show in 5 minutes.

Better still, look at craft-like things. Teach how to make an origami cup, for instance. Look for craft websites and see what you can find for simple but interesting and neat crafts. While you can use their information to get you started, make sure you actually make the tutorial yourself and that you can actually accomplish what the tutorial is intended to do.

As you're developing your tutorial, try it on a victi... uh, "volunteer." ^_^ You'll quickly find what works and what doesn't. Additionally, when you present it and someone asks questions, you can answer with some actual experience.

What can you teach in 5 minutes that people would find interesting to learn?

Good luck and have fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't have a specific recommendation. All I can say is, pick something you know very well and something you love/enjoy. That way you'll do a really good job because you know about it and care about it. And your passion for whatever it is will show through in your presentation.

In my COM101 class in college, we had to do an informational speech to the class and that's the advice our prof gave us. I think it was good advice and helped me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
Well if it's for a tutoring job, it's a no-brainer that you should teach computing on a Mac. If you're any good, you'll sell (read; switch) the room.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I pushed my audition back a couple weeks, so I have some more time to think about it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What about

Why men don't listen and why women cant read maps

Why learning a language is important

Is democracy stable, or does it need to be defended and nurtured to survive

Does status and wealth make you happy?

Why "I am right and you are wrong" leads to confrontation

What is better - a job you enjoy or one that makes a lot of money

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1,1 IntelCore Duo 1.83 GHz 2MB Cache 512 MB Memory
Not true! By coincidence I can not only read maps but create them, thanks to the cartography program at SFU. I have found some men think its a sign of weakness to consult a map ( or the assembly instructions). One classic example was driving around the northern part of Edmonton looking for an address and ending up in what seemed like Saskatchewan.

Reaction score
I can't really read a map.........my mother can. She's a school bus driver. So can my aunt. I know just as many women who can read maps as I do men.

It seems like nobody even uses maps anymore thanks to mapquest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.