Final Cut keeps asking for serial...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, iPod Touch 2g 16GB
Hi all. I just got Final Cut Studio and every time I open one of the apps I get the window asking me for my name and serial. It's quite annoying. I thought maybe if I registered it it would stop asking me but other than going to the apple register site I can't figure out how to register it from the app it's self. When I try to register at http://register.apple.com I get this:

There was an unexpected error with the application. This problem has been noted, and an email has been sent to the administrators. Please continue with the application. Thank you for your understanding.

So #1, I'd like it to stop asking me for my serial and 2#, I'd like to register it but can't. Any ideas?

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is a store bought copy of FC Studio correct? Which version of OSX are you running?

OP
Cappie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, store bought FCS 2 (I got it from Amazon). I'm running 10.4. Please don't tell me I have to upgrade my OS :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Isn't there a serial number in the box... perhaps in the manual??

OP
Cappie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't there a serial number in the box... perhaps in the manual??

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. The serial number works fine. Once I enter it the app opens and I can use it. It's just that I'm asked for the serial again every time I open an app.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It should work fine on Tiger.

I wonder if FCS 2 saves passwords to the keychain? If so could be the Keychain needs repair.
I would check but all I own right now is Final Cut Express.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm doing a little Googling, and I found this discussion:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1388992

From what I can gather from that discussion, you may have bought an "upgrade" version of FCS and the serial it is asking for is the OLD version... to verify you are in fact entitled to the cost-reduced upgrade version. You see this commonly with Windows installations when doing a clean install using an upgrade install disc.

OP
Cappie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lifeisabeach, I didn't buy the upgrade. I had the academic version so I had to buy the full FCS. Then I got rid of the academic version using AppZapper (maybe I should have mentioned that detail in the first place) Luckily, issue #1 is fixed. For anyone else who has this problem, the following fixed it for me:

Find and trash "systemHD/Library/Application Support/ProApps/Final Cut Studio System ID". Open an app and enter your serial number, creating a new system ID file.

So, issue #2 is still unsolved. Thanks for all the replies so far.

*Edit - lifeisabeach...I see you're in Wilmington. Me too :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
lifeisabeach, I didn't buy the upgrade. I had the academic version so I had to buy the full FCS. Then I got rid of the academic version using AppZapper (maybe I should have mentioned that detail in the first place) Luckily, issue #1 is fixed. For anyone else who has this problem, the following fixed it for me:

Find and trash "systemHD/Library/Application Support/ProApps/Final Cut Studio System ID". Open an app and enter your serial number, creating a new system ID file.

So, issue #2 is still unsolved. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Regarding issue #2... when you get this error message, is it something that pops up in the browser as a web page (i.e. is it coming from Apple's site?), or is your computer generating this message, like when an app crashes?

I'm guessing Apple's server is sending that message back, which probably means that something is wrong with the registration software on Apple's server. Have you tried a different web browser?

*Edit - lifeisabeach...I see you're in Wilmington. Me too :D

Groovy, man! So what's going on in Europe that's dragging you away?

OP
Cappie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regarding issue #2... when you get this error message, is it something that pops up in the browser as a web page (i.e. is it coming from Apple's site?), or is your computer generating this message, like when an app crashes?

I'm guessing Apple's server is sending that message back, which probably means that something is wrong with the registration software on Apple's server. Have you tried a different web browser?

I get that error as a web page. The one time the app its self asked me to register I got an error message as well. I suppose you're right...something up with the Apple site. I kinda figured that might be it but when I get an error message I'm used to the issue being on my end, lol. I tried it using Firefox (Safari the 1st time). I'll try again in the morn.

Groovy, man! So what's going on in Europe that's dragging you away?

This:

ja1.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.