Can't see programs in 10.4. Forced boot into classic mode

Reaction score
I am on an iMac G4 running OS 10.4. When I boot the machine it loads my desktop, then proceeds to start Classic Mode. It won't actually run Classic Mode all the way up. I can't get into the System Prefs at all. It just doesn't respond to anything.

I tried booting from the Install Disk (hold "c" while booting, right?) But it doesn't help. I have a new MacBook so I can boot the iMac in Target disk mode to view the system files.

Can anyone help me figure out what's the problem or how to fix it. I guess I can always back up the docs and reinstall.

By the way, what's the easiest way to reformat the HD and reinstall OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Try to Repair the disk while in Target disk mode first with Disk Utlity. (and Permissions)
If needed, use the Install disk to Erase and Install. You should be able to reformat in Target disk mode with Disk Utlity. Then try booting from Install disk.
Also, try the Apple Hardware Test. Try holding option with Install disk, after restart.
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/aht.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.