12" iBook or PowerBook

D

davidwanat

If I spec the iBook to have a 60GB HD, Airport Extream, and Bluetooth it is only $217 less then the Powerbook.

That extra $217 gets me what? .33GHz, slightly better graphics card, and ???????

Is it worth it?

OP
I

iSheep

Slightly better graphics card? It's got twice the memory!

Don't forget the dual-screen.

Option of a DVD-R if you want.

The standard hard disc is much bigger on the PowerBook - in fact it's double the size.

I think that's worth $217.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
i alomost went for the iBook,but after deciding what i'd gain for a few more hundreds, i went for a Powerbook and i've never looked back.

OP
C

Cloudane

Suppose it depends if you have any kind of desire for those extras. I went with the PB for:

* The solid aluminium casing
* The ability to plug a monitor in and run it in dual-display mode at any resolution (with an iBook you're stuck with mirroring the LCD at 1024x768 or less) which has already paid off a few times
* Ability to run it with the lid/screen closed (same situation)
* Apparently somewhat faster logic board etc and graphics capable of running some games (not important, but nice to be in Second Life whilst sat outside etc)

For me it was worth it. But if you don't have any desire for the sharper performance edge, dual-display etc the iBook might even be better due to the different software bundle (you get AppleWorks I believe, whilst PB users get iLife instead. I might be wrong or incomplete on this.)

OP
V

vuschejan

Cloudane said:
Suppose it depends if you have any kind of desire for those extras. I went with the PB for:

* The solid aluminium casing
* The ability to plug a monitor in and run it in dual-display mode at any resolution (with an iBook you're stuck with mirroring the LCD at 1024x768 or less) which has already paid off a few times
* Ability to run it with the lid/screen closed (same situation)
* Apparently somewhat faster logic board etc and graphics capable of running some games (not important, but nice to be in Second Life whilst sat outside etc)

For me it was worth it. But if you don't have any desire for the sharper performance edge, dual-display etc the iBook might even be better due to the different software bundle (you get AppleWorks I believe, whilst PB users get iLife instead. I might be wrong or incomplete on this.)

Tis be appleworks and Ilife on Ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Consumer Machines(iMac, eMac, iBook) ship with AppleWorks. Professional Machines (Powermac, Powerbook) do not ship with AppleWorks...

Besides, IMO, MS Office 2004 for Mac is awesome...(Leaps ahead of its Doz counterpart)

OP
C

Cloudane

There ya go :) MS Office is *hideously* expensive, though ($400), which is where in terms of legal pricing the iBook might have the edge.

Of course, it does depend on your much you care about being legally licensed... and to what extent that care goes when it comes to Microsoft ;)

OP
M

m1k

Get the PowerBook if at all possible. It just feels more solid, trust me. Nothing creaks or anything, whereas with the iBook it is creaky sometimes (although a lot less than wintel laptops). I mean the case, it just doesn't feel as solid.

Plus, you have the line-in port, and since I am a bit of a musician, this helps :)

Get the PowerBook and you'll never look back, guaranteed.

OP
D

davidwanat

Wow awsome responces.

Now I just have to fit it in the budget somewhere between the new roof and the new baby.

The Powerbook makes more sence. $217 in the long run isn't too bad.

OP
M

m1k

Yeah, I have a PowerBook and my mom has an iBook (both 12") and I wouldn't give up my PB for her iBook for the world. My PB just feels more solid, it's more expandeable... It's just better.

Glad to hear you're making this decision.

Good luck!

OP
I

iSheep

Cloudane said:
There ya go :) MS Office is *hideously* expensive, though ($400), which is where in terms of legal pricing the iBook might have the edge.

Of course, it does depend on your much you care about being legally licensed... and to what extent that care goes when it comes to Microsoft ;)
Student version of Office :)

Word and Excel are the only two programs that have crashed on me since I got my Mac. Word because I wanted to change the font and Excel because I wanted to print a graph.

OP
C

Cloudane

Fine if you're a student :)

I'm sure not all Mac users are. And buying a Student license when you're not a student, whilst 'more legal' than downloading it off Limewire, is still fraudulent and thus illegal.

OP
M

m1k

But if you are a student it's much cheaper.

Word and Excel are the only two programs that have crashed on me since I got my Mac. Word because I wanted to change the font and Excel because I wanted to print a graph.

Same for me, except it's Word 2x, while I was trying to save a file (I think). I have AppleWorks on my PB as well (Got it from my mom's iBook) and I've been trying to persuade myself to use it instead of Word, but I'm used to Word's layout, and I also paid like $200 for Office 2k4 :(

Does anybody know if AppleWorks is more stable than Word? That would be amazing!

OP
H

heyloo

I just got my Powerbook 12". I'm loving it so far!
My first computer was a mac (around '95) and have been using windows ever since. I thought about getting an ibook also, but ****, PB looked much better, and I assumed that it is expensive for a reason (graphics, CPU, etc). *shrug*

The keyboard touch on PB is totally awesome. I love it!

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

PowerBook is slightly better(no offense to those of you on an iBook) I was thinking of iBook, but then i saw the PowerBook, thats what im getting.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.