Macbook Pro, or PC then Mac Pro?

Reaction score
Ok as posted before I need a laptop for my business. When I was at work today
I was contemplating something. Would it be better for me to go out and buy a Windows Laptop with near specs to the Macbook Pro or Get a Macbook Pro?
First briefly let me explain what the laptop will be used for. It will be used for taking pictures taken at a party and retouching them quickly, and then displaying them on a Plasma TV as a sideshow. I am almost half way to the way the Macbook Pro money wise, but I know that I am about 3/4 of the way to a similar PC money wise. I still want to buy a mac so what I would do is start the business sooner, and once I make back alot of money go and buy a Eight Core Mac Pro. Basically the cheaper the laptop I choose the faster I start my business, and the faster I make money. So do you think I should wait and buy a Macbook Pro, or a PC and then a Eight Core Mac Pro?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
I think you should wait until the summer or later (if you still don't have the money) and get the mac.

First off, Apple is probably going to re-design their laptop lineup(MacBook and MacBook Pro) mid-summer.

Second, if you invest in a mac, come time you would like to get an 8-core mac pro, you could turn around and sell your laptop on ebay for a significant amount of money, probably very close to what you paid for it. Say if you get a PC laptop, and a year later you would like to sell it, there is no way you are going to get anything close to what you paid for it. Look on ebay to show what I am talking about.

I say definitely wait and get the mac. (summer or later)

Reaction score
Hi all, im new in this forum and i have one question.
im starting to use maya 8 complete, and i want to buy a mac but i dont know which one to buy im deciding between:
- IMAC 20" intel core 2 duo, 2.5 RAM.
- MACBOOK BLACK intel core 2 duo, 2.5 RAM. with 20" apple cinema display.
wich one is my best option to use maya 8?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Hi all, im new in this forum and i have one question.
im starting to use maya 8 complete, and i want to buy a mac but i dont know which one to buy im deciding between:
- IMAC 20" intel core 2 duo, 2.5 RAM.
- MACBOOK BLACK intel core 2 duo, 2.5 RAM. with 20" apple cinema display.
wich one is my best option to use maya 8?

If you're using Maya, you would be much better off with the iMac. The graphics chips in the iMac are a LOT better than those in the MacBook.

Considering how heavy duty Maya is on a system, get the iMac, and max out the RAM.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Ok as posted before I need a laptop for my business. When I was at work today
I was contemplating something. Would it be better for me to go out and buy a Windows Laptop with near specs to the Macbook Pro or Get a Macbook Pro?
First briefly let me explain what the laptop will be used for. It will be used for taking pictures taken at a party and retouching them quickly, and then displaying them on a Plasma TV as a sideshow. I am almost half way to the way the Macbook Pro money wise, but I know that I am about 3/4 of the way to a similar PC money wise. I still want to buy a mac so what I would do is start the business sooner, and once I make back alot of money go and buy a Eight Core Mac Pro. Basically the cheaper the laptop I choose the faster I start my business, and the faster I make money. So do you think I should wait and buy a Macbook Pro, or a PC and then a Eight Core Mac Pro?

Thanks.
I think you need to really look at your hardware and software needs. Because from what you stated you don't need a Mac Pro. I sounds like you can get away with a MacBook and an iMac. You will need to give more information on your future plans, if want people to help with a good suggestion.

OP
D
Reaction score
I think you need to really look at your hardware and software needs. Because from what you stated you don't need a Mac Pro. I sounds like you can get away with a MacBook and an iMac. You will need to give more information on your future plans, if want people to help with a good suggestion.

Sorry I should have clarified that the Macbook Pro would be used at the parties for quick photo retouching, but the Mac Pro would be used for video editing, composting,Website design,real photo editing in photoshop, and maybe some Autocad. I just really need a laptop that will be fast and affordable but have a better graphics card than the plain Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
In your shoes, I would not mix and match the laptop and desktop with two different operating systems. It is a major inconvenience to have to save and access data in two different formats. While not impossible to manage, it will definitely slow down your work flow, and time is money.

I'm only a hobbyist photographer with access to several PCs about the house, but am still toying with adding a Macbook or MBP as a portable companion and backup to my iMac. If your livelihood is on the line, you need to invest in the proper equipment. Get the MBP and then save for a Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I imagine it would be incredibly useful to have a Mac notebook and a Mac desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.