Macbook and Time Machine

Reaction score
So I just got a Macbook and this Time machine looks like a good feature in case you accidentally do something stupid. I want to back up to an External HD but its a laptop and i dont plan bringing my external HD with me everywhere. So can Mac back up each time it's plugged in and then if I loose something I plug it in and go to time machine orrr? Just looking for some details on options I have here. Not really interested in backing up to a .Mac account or buying new hardware, such a a time capsule (which would be nice for time machine but once again only really would serve me a purpose when my laptop is at my house)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Whenever you plug in the macbook, it will backup. Otherwise it will give an error but nothing is damaged. If you don't want to see the error (error doesn't bother you like Windows), you can turn off Time Machine whenever you don't have the external plugged in (It's a big button in the TM preferences).

All in all, Time Machine is full of awesomeness ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.