Connecting Macbook to netgear router? Help!

Reaction score
Ok I hope this is in the correct section. I have just bought a new 2.2ghz macbook and I can't get it to connect to my netgear router. It recognises the netgear signal but asks me for a WEP password which it will not accept. I have even reset the router, so the password should now be "password" but it will not accept this either. I have tried putting a $ sign at the beginning of the password as has been suggested with no luck. I also downloaded the apple update which is supposed to fix wireless connection issues but still I can't connect.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Sometimes there can be a issue like these where the password wont be accepted. Change the encryption type and the password and then change it back and it may start working for you. Changing just the password may do it as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Don't use WEP... use WPA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
First, connect to the netgear with an Ethernet cable.
Then, open up a terminal and type "ifconfig"+ENTER and get the IP address that has just been assigned to you. It should be 192.168.something.something
Then, open a browser and type http://192.168.something.1 and enter, which should take you to your netgear admin page.
Then, set the encryption from WEP to WPA2+PreSharedKey or WEP2 Personal, and set a preshared key. Use more than 8 characters, use upper and lower case. Use a $peci@l character or two. password sucks, P@$$w0rd sucks less. Something specific to YOU will work better.

Also, go to the advanced page and look at your current software version. Then go to the netgear.com support page and make sure that you are at the latest/greatest version for your router. If not, download and update.

Then, disconnect the ethernet cable, try to join the WLAN, and be happy ;-)

OP
G
Reaction score
Well the ethernet cable I got with netgear does not fit into any of my mac ports. I actually have the security turned off netgear but it still asks for a password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well the ethernet cable I got with netgear does not fit into any of my mac ports. I actually have the security turned off netgear but it still asks for a password.
If it doesn't fit then it's not an ethernet cable.

The cable should look like this and plug into the connector immediately to the right of your power supply.

Ethernet-Cable-UTP-Mold-Type-KB-AA06-.jpg

Plug that into your Netgear.
If you don't know your router's IP address, open "System Preferences> Network> Ethernet> Advanced> TCP/IP" and look at the "Router" field.

Enter the IP address into Safari. That will take you to your Netgear's configuration page. Look for the wireless settings and choose WPA. Then enter your own password and try that.

OP
G
Reaction score
The cable I have is similar but has four internal wires and is not as wide. That one looks like it has 6 or 7. It was the cable that came with the router. A netgear DG834PN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
The cable you will be looking at will be the modem/phone line cable. If you're using your router to do your adsl connection as well then it needs to be plugged in too. There *should* be an ethernet cable in the box (at least, according to amazon), but if not you could pick one up for a couple of dollars at an electronics store.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well I found an eathernet cable but I can't get the Netgear disk to work in my mac. The fix that they suggest is only for macs up to OS9. I have the latest mac with Leapord.

Do I need to install the software on the disk or can I get around this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.