upgrading ram causing problems

R

ravenstor

well ive bought a 512mb to put in ibook, straight away it caused freezes and wouldnt load through boot up consistently, so took it back and got a replacement, bit better but after a couple of restarts same problem along with kernel panic.

phoned the store who said to try the hardware tester cd and put it through 3 or 4 runs, memory fine, took out memory and put the 128 stick back in and everythings fine.

any ideas?

starting to wonder whether i have a friday afternoon ibook ;)

OP
B

Badger

OS X is notoriously demanding on memory. RAM that is stable and functional under OS 9 may cause major headaches under X. My guess is that there is nothing wrong with your 'book. The dealer is probably stocking generic brand or cross-platform compatible memory. PCs, like OS 9, seem to be more tolerant of memory. Look for Mac-certified RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Badger said:
OS X is notoriously demanding on memory. RAM that is stable and functional under OS 9 may cause major headaches under X. My guess is that there is nothing wrong with your 'book. The dealer is probably stocking generic brand or cross-platform compatible memory. PCs, like OS 9, seem to be more tolerant of memory. Look for Mac-certified RAM.

Exactly. I only use RAM from vendors that test and guarantee it to work with Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Crucial is supposed to be good, or someone who sells kensington or infineon ram...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
OP
R

ravenstor

well the upshot was a faulty installation disk that reacted badly to my ram upgrade, the ram was by kingston, installed fresh osx and it works fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.