PPPOE DSL connection problems

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been having a problem with my DSL connection the past few days.

I'm In Canada and going through Bell Sympatico - Similiar to Bell south or any other DSL company.

I Can connect directly to the internet through the modem (Speedstream 5200) with no problems. Now, after calling bell, they are telling me to go into sys pref's, and make a location called "Broadband", and to create a PPPOE Service. This works, but then then I can't connect my router!! (D-Link WBR-2310).

I have tried to use the internet directly through the default settings in OS X: Mac - Modem, under the "Automatic" location, using DHCP, and the internet works fine.

When i do: Mac - Router - Modem, Using DHCP, the internet does NOT work, despite configuring the router accordingly.

When I use the "broadband" location with the PPPOE service, and do the following: Mac - Router - Modem, it still does not work.

Does anyone know the steps for setting up an internet connection using PPPOE through a router? I'm totally at the point of giving up.

To recap:

- I have configured the router to use PPPOE Settings
- I have confirmed that the internet connection is active by verifying with the modem via address 192.168.2.1
- I have created a separate location in Network settings in OS X Called "Broadband". I have created a service called PPPOE within the location with the correct login information. NOTE: When the PPPOE Service is being used, the "Ethernet" connection is still active and connected.
- When i try and throw the router into the mix, Everything doesn't work. The "Automatic" location and the "Broadband" location are useless.

Do the settings in Network Pref's really make a difference?

IF there is anything i missed, let me know....

Can anyone help me out?! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
1) Unplug your modem
2) Configure your router with the PPPOE settings
3) unplug your router
4) Configure your mac to use DHCP not PPPOE
5) Plug in your modem and wait for all lights to be solid
6) Plug in your router and wait for it to completely turn on
7) Renew your IP on your Mac

You should now be online.

OP
M
Reaction score
i got it to work this afternoon!!!!

wooooO!!

thanks for the help!

Mods, please close thread :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.