No operating system

Reaction score
I have a second hand macbook with no operating system on it. There is however some random cd in the disc drive.

Firstly how do I get it out because the eject key (beside F12) doesn't eject it?

Secondly, assuming I can eject it, will it possible to install Mac OS X (10.4.7, AHT version 3A113) from the Install Disc that came with a new iMac I bought recently. Or will I need to buy a Macbook version of OS X?

Thanks.

Chew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
1) Try holding down the left Mouse button while rebooting. You may need a USB mouse to do this (I haven't had the issue with my MacBook, only my iMac).

2) Your Install Disk for the iMac will not work on the MacBook. You may be able to get the correct install disk if you contact Apple and explain it to them... Otherwise... buy Leopard.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
1) Try holding down the left Mouse button while rebooting. You may need a USB mouse to do this (I haven't had the issue with my MacBook, only my iMac).
Or you don't have a mouse, just press and hold the trackpad button on boot up. This should eject the media also.

OP
C
Reaction score
very quick replies!

I figured out how to get the disc out but thanks anyway.

I realize now after trying my iMac OS X that it is a single user version so there's no way of installing it onto the Macbook. I really don't want to have to buy another copy of it. I'll try contacting Apple.

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.