• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

PAL miniDV import to iMovie 08 or Final Cut Express4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whitebook 2.2, 4gb RAM, 200gb 7200RPM HD
Hello Everyone,

I'm at a bit of a standstill with a personal project. I have a miniDV encoded in PAL format. It is of my wedding reception in India. The videographer recorded, edited and put in titles and music track, then recorded back to miniDV but I think he must have copy protected the tape.

When I hook the camera up to my Mac I can't get either iMovie 08 or FCX4 to import the video. It works fine will all the tape I've shot in NTSC but with this edited version it just stops and doesn't import anything.

I've about resigned myself to copying to VHS (if I can) then either importing directly to the Mac or copying back to miniDV NTSC then import to Mac.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this import now before I break down and have to deal with video loss from copy to copy to import??

Thanks!:)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you set your camera to the PAL format and then try the import?

OP
MacKat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for replying.

Yes, I've set the camera for this format and it still won't import. I tried it with Nero on a PC and it tried to import but the video has bars and noise through it with no sound. :(

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
My guess here is has to do with the camera. In that a Sony and Canon both write to a miniDV tape, but they may not be able to read the tape the other has written. I don't know if this true or not.

OP
MacKat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again, I appreciate the time to answer.
I thought that might have been the case too as I know the video was shot on one of the (not sure of the model but the expensive white long lens) Canon video camera and my little camera is Sony but here's the kicker... The video plays fine in the viewer of my Sony as well as playing fine when connected via RCA out to my Sharp Aquos tv. :eek: It just will not import into Nero Vision, Microsoft Movie, iMovie 08 or FCX4.

I just don't know what else to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
in final cut go to the final cut menu.. click on easy set up and click pal

then import it that way.

OP
MacKat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alas...I thought I had done this already but tried it again this morning. The results were the same as all other attempts. I even removed and reinstalled Final Cut Express and same thing.

OP
MacKat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...bump...

Any other suggestions :(

OP
MacKat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.