Setting up USB webcam

Reaction score
Im trying to set up my USB logitech webcam on my macbook.

..I have no idea how to go about setting it up and checking its working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Why do you need a USB web cam?? Your built in camera on your laptop won't suffice??

OP
I
Reaction score
No it wont, I want the camera in a different position to my macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Unfortunately, you may be out of luck a bit with the Logitech camera if you want to use it other than your built-in iSight because there might not be drivers for it.

However in the interest of getting a non-iSight equipped Mac to work with a webcam, my research and experience has led me purchase, test, and get working a different camera, a RocketFish webcam which comes with drivers for Mac OS X. It's about $50, and while I haven't tested it on my Macbook, it works fine on a Mac Mini.

Worst case, you buy it and it doesn't work you can return it to say, Best Buy or some other place from which you got it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You may also want to check out www.ecamm.com. They provide drivers that will let many Logitech web cams work with OS X.

Finally, if you are confining your video activities to Skype only, I would strongly recommend the Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks. This is a 2 Mp camera with a real glass lens. It produces a vastly superior picture quality to any webcam I have seen before. While not advertized as being Mac compatible, it does work with Mac Skype, at least on Tiger.

Reaction score
I have an XBOX360 web cam and it works great, just plug and play. Bad thing is that there is not microphone on the camera so you will need and external mic to get sound. Also I have a Logitech webcam the STX model and I downloaded a driver from the macam website and it worked just fine.

Reaction score
Im trying to set up my USB logitech webcam on my macbook.

..I have no idea how to go about setting it up and checking its working.

Thanks for asking this question. I have an iMac24 and the webcam shoots over my kids' head or sometimes we want to position it without having to move the whole monitor...

Any other suggestions if I were to buy a new web cam?

Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.