• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What EXACTLY does the video card do?

Reaction score
I understand that a dedicated video card is better than one that feeds off of the CPU and RAM of the computer, but what exactly does this accomplish? I guess my basic question is, does a better graphics card solely improve speed, or will it also improve picture quality/clarity. I'm debating on buying a Macbook or Macbook Pro, and the main difference that I'm concerned with is the video card. I'm going to be filming concerts for bands, and if I get the Macbook, will the picture be worse than if I did the editing on a Pro? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
No, the picture will not be worse. The videos would look exactly the same. The MacBook would take a lot longer to render.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would depend on how long the movie is and its quality.
I had a MacBook and didn't like it for photo editing. The screen was too small and it was just too slow. Video work uses a lot more of the computer. I would recommend the MBP if you can afford even the base model. It's a far nicer computer.

OP
I
Reaction score
If I got an MBP it would be used, and most of the used ones I've seen in my price range have the Radeon X1600? as the video card...is this one even comparable to the NVIDIA? Would there be anything wrong with going used on a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know how the two compare. Thinking about buying a used MBP? It could work out but you need one with a warranty. If anything goes bad on one, repairs will be costly.
How much do you have to spend? Have you checked out a refurbished MBP? It comes with the same new warranty. Everything looks and feels the same except for the box it's shipped in.

OP
I
Reaction score
Yah a refurbished one would be okay. Also does a faster HD improve video rendering? I have to stay under $1500 on whatever I end up getting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a 7200RPM drive will help with the speed of encoding and transfers.
You might be able to find a refurb for $1600 or $1700 but you're only going to get used ones for $1500. I would suggest waiting a few more months to save a few extra $$. I am not a big fan of used laptops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.