How to wake up Mac...

Reaction score
I've noticed that when my Mac goes into power save mode the mouse doesn't wake it up. Sometimes the mouse isn't even on, and other times it's on but moving it doesn't wake up the system. What's the proper way to wakeup the system?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Gigabit 400 Single. 40GB , 1.25GB RAM. OS 10.4.11 Tiger
Not sure on your new baby, but my old G4 takes a stab at the space bar to wake it up. The mouse is ignored. Might be configurable on both, but I'm new so I don't know for sure on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Is your mouse bluetooth?

OP
S
Reaction score
Is your mouse bluetooth?

Nope. It's the standard Apple mouse that comes with the Mac Pro. I think it's called the Mighty Mouse.

Just now, I hit the Esc key and it woke up fine. I think I've tried the spacebar before and it just beeped but the screen didn't come back.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
just wiggling the mouse doesn't wake (in all cases). Like svnipp, I usually tap the space bar...if you want to use the mouse to wake, try clicking.

Reaction score
give it a big slap on the side, if that doesnt work push enter or space should work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Find it necessary to briefly hit the startup button to wake using USB dongle and bluetooth.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I think this one can safely be chalked up to user error. I'm pretty sure now that the Mac was going into power save mode and a simple tab on the spacebar is enough to bring it happily back.

I love that if I have audio playing, or have a game running even though I may be sitting idly doing nothing in the game it's smart enough NOT to go to sleep. It's all the little things about this system that I'm finding I love more and more. Mail is still taking a little getting used to, but I'm getting there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Gigabit 400 Single. 40GB , 1.25GB RAM. OS 10.4.11 Tiger
This old one will wake up with any keystroke, but not the mouse at all,
and it is cool that if anything is running (music, browser, etc.) it just goes to the screen saver or monitor sleep if the screensaver times out.
Start the music and go to sleep (me that is), and it's playing when I wake up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.