Emptying Trash can problem...

L

ldj

Hi, im new to mac and im having difficulties emptying the trash can. I installed the windows media player and now i erased it, though when i try to empty the trash can it says that the file is locked and therefore cannot be deleted. I tried doing Secure Trash Can and it say that file "htm" is being used. Should i just restore my mac? cos this is very ennoying.
Can someone please help me out. tia.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
No you, don't have to restore your system. I would give you r the answer to your problem but I have to make a run. I just saw your post. If no one get back to you, before i get back. I'll give you a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
The easiest way (shortcut) to delete a locked file from the trash is to press the option key while selecting "Empty Trash" from the finder menu. The other way is to select the file that is locked then select "Get Info" from the file menu. The window that opens will have a box with "Locked" selected. Just click on it to deselect.

A file being "in use" is different than a file being locked. Restarting your system may free up the "file in use" problem.

OP
L

ldj

Well, i restarted my mac and the "in use" problem still occured, i also unticked the "locked" tick and it still didnt delete. Luckily the Force Trashcan script did the thing. Thanks for the help.

BTW, is there some software which cleans up useless files that are not needed? Or there is no such thing on mac?

OP
C

cory

I just installed Studio MX and the Production Suite and that took up lots of my hard drive hahaha Need to clear stuff i dont need

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
immdb said:
The easiest way (shortcut) to delete a locked file from the trash is to press the option key while selecting "Empty Trash" from the finder menu. The other way is to select the file that is locked then select "Get Info" from the file menu. The window that opens will have a box with "Locked" selected. Just click on it to deselect.

A file being "in use" is different than a file being locked. Restarting your system may free up the "file in use" problem.

What does holding option while clicking on empty trash from the finder menu do?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
ApplejustWorks said:

That does a force empty trash (ignore file permissions).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
ApplejustWorks said:

If you have the option "Show warning before emptying the Trash" selected in the Finder Preferences…

Holding the Option key while empting the trash will bypass any prompts and delete the locked items.

It won't help for "in use" items.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.