Time Macine, "what's backed up?"

Reaction score
I have a fairly deep history with *nixes, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the ****** TM is doing to figure what ought to be backed up. One time it's 600K, the next it's 1GB. I've looked at the raw backup data, and there's crap in there I haven't touched in months. I could spend more time to figure it out, but thought I would take the cheap route first and see if anyone has already spent the time and knows... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
By default Time Machine backs up everything on your main hard drive. It then does incremental updates, backing up whichever files had been updated in the last hour. Over time, these updates are then consolidated into daily backups, then weekly, then monthly.

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, TM also uses hard links so that unchanged files are not backed up and thus not taking up space on the back-up drive while making it appear as if each backup is a full backup.

Reaction score
By default Time Machine backs up everything on your main hard drive. It then does incremental updates, backing up whichever files had been updated in the last hour. Over time, these updates are then consolidated into daily backups, then weekly, then monthly.

including OS files and programs?
full 50gb will be full 50gb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unless you specify otherwise, yes. You can restore your system with a Time Machine backup, so it needs to save every file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.